Request - Partial Library Update (newer files only)

• Hi,

I requested a quick/partial library update over on the kodi forum: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=377855

The logic is sound. I even have a practical example that illustrates its faster. But for some reason, it does not seem to be going anywhere. All the feedback I get is: hashes are faster.

Can someone with kodi coding experience verify my logic and/or tell me if my ask is unreasonable?

Thank you :saint:

• Code
    It could log the timestamp of the last scan, then process all folders newer than said timestamp.

The incorrect assumption ^ is that clock time inside an OS is a reliable concept, and in reality it's not, it's a little fluid. These days most devices have no local RTC chip and rely upon internet time; so time is only accurate for 'most' users 'most' of the time.

The better approach is to have change detection similar to Plex and some other mediacentre apps. Then once an initial long-format scan has been completed you only need to scan content being added or changed, which is inherently faster.

The challenge is always that ideas are easier than implementation :)