Upgrade to v12 Query

• Hi,

I did have LibreElec v9 installed and wanted to upgrade, so last year I thought, ok lets try to upgrade to v11 and see what happens.

All worked well, a few addons not worked so uninstalled and installed the new versions.

Can anyone explain what issues there are upgrading from v9 to v10 or v11?

I'm planning on upgrading to v12, but would like to know what issues are from upgrading from v9.

Running on Intel CPU.

Thanks

Scott

• Upgrading from LE 9 to LE 10 is not suggested, because LE 10 uses a different Python version.

Upgrading from LE 10 to LE 11 or 12 is possible. Read the release notes for details.

So in your case I suggest to install LE 12 from scratch.

• The "direct update from LE9 is not supported" line is all about dissuading average users with low(er) skill levels because when add-ons go crashy and prevent the GUI from coming up those average users with zero CLI skills panic and generate a large amount of forum traffic. However if you understand your way around Kodi and the LE filesystem it's a fairly trivial update. The core OS updates from LE9 to anything newer with no issues since everything is packaged into KERNEL/SYSTEM. Add-ons are where all the problems occur; due to the Python2 > Python3 change that took place between LE9 and LE10 and then the multi-year version jump. However, after downloading the update .tar to /storage/.update all you need to do is stop Kodi and "rm -rf /storage/.kodi/addons/*" to ensure nothing to do with old add-ons remains except for settings in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data, then let the update run, and reinstall add-ons from the respective repos once on LE12. Total time elapsed should be 5-10 mins at most.

• Just an update to say thank you, everything went well and now LE12.

I did notice one of the old Addons, I can't remember which one, didn't work on LE11 and I couldn't uninstall it, but now it's gone and all addons have been reinstalled.

Thanks again Chewitt.