LibreELEC 12 Beta2 & HDR with Yamaha RX-V477 & LG G3

• Hi all,

I am currently using Libreelec 11.0.6 on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a Yamaha RX-V477 receiver and a LG G3 55 TV.

This receiver came originally with HDMI 1.4 support but was later updated to 2.0 (I assume HDMI 2.0 draft).

Libreelec 11.0.6. is showing HDR support, and playing some files with HDR10 content and 23.976 framerate works (LG TV correctly detects HDR content and I can see that it is working).

However, LibreELEC 12 Beta2 does not show any HDR support.

Any ideas/suggestions?

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Your AVR (or maybe your TV) doesn't report support for HDR in the EDID - Kodi Omega now checks for that and will only output HDR if it's actually supported by the TV.

Try connecting the RPi directly to the TV and test if that works. If yes, the AVR is the culprit, if no it's the TV and you may have to adjust some settings on your AVR (or TV).

Make sure you power off the RPi before changing the cabling as kodi will only check the display capabilities on startup.

You can also verify the display capabilities with edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid , you should see both a "Colorimetry Data Block" and a "HDR Static Metadata Data Block" like that:

Code
     Colorimetry Data Block:
       BT2020YCC
       BT2020RGB
     HDR Static Metadata Data Block:
       Electro optical transfer functions:
         Traditional gamma - SDR luminance range
         SMPTE ST2084
         Hybrid Log-Gamma
       Supported static metadata descriptors:
         Static metadata type 1

Kodi will also show that info in it's log (the "display-info" lines), but your log doesn't contain any HDR info and none of the colorimetries are supported, so it seems the AVR only sends an empty colorimetry block and no HDR metadata block at all.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

Thanks for your reply. I am 99% sure that the AVR is the culprit here.

Do you think it would be possible to force a custom EDID to try to force HDR?

Thanks.

• Yes, there are a couple of options:

The easy one is to throw in some money and buy an HDFury Dr HDMI or VRROOM, then you can easily adjust the EDID via it's web interface (or app). Those devices aren't exactly cheap but I really like my VRROOM and it can do a ton of more stuff as well (I mainly use it to debug issues though).

You can also dump the EDID and then edit it eg with the AW EDID Editor https://www.analogway.com/emea/products/…aw-edid-editor/ - either dump the EDID of the TV and add the additional audio formats of your AVR or dump the EDID of your AVR and fix-up/add the HDR modes of the TV (the former should be easier).

Or you could simply replace the EDID with some default one that about matches your TV/AVR - HDFury has a nice EDID collection on their website https://hdfury.com/tools/HDfury_EDID_collection.zip (most edids are in the "Vertex EDID Tables" folder).

Either way, first ssh in and run getedid create - this will save the current EDID(s) to /storage/.config/firmware/edid/ and install them permanently. It'll print the names of the connected HDMI ports (usually HDMI-A-1) and you should now have edid-HDMI-X-Y.bin (eg edid-HDMI-A-1.bin) files in the .config/firmware/edid folder.

Copy that file over to your PC, edit it and copy it back or just replace it with some generic EDID (make sure you don't change the name!) and then run create-edid-cpio to also update the early-stage EDID file with the one in the .config/firmware/edid folder (repeat that if you need or want to change the edid).

If you later want to completely get rid of the EDID override simply run getedid delete

so long,

Hias

• Veda BTW: your RPi is running on fumes, it would be a good idea to replace the power supply (the official one is highly recommended) as otherwise you may run into unexplainable occasional issues.

Code
    RPi throttled=0x50005
    Feb 27 18:26:05.050964 LibreELEC kernel: hwmon hwmon0: Undervoltage detected!

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

Yes, I am actually powering it from the USB of my TV, and I have configured it in such a way that when it detects the HDMI off signal from the TV it shuts down (I've verified that the power stays on for enough time after the TV shuts down so that Libreelec can shutdown cleanly).

Will try going the downclock route and see if it is enough, otherwise I will use an external supply.

BTW, Yesterday I've tried the procedure you've suggested for creating the custom EDID using AW EDID Editor, and it works flawlessly! Now I have HDR10 working again through my old (but not osolete :)) AVR (at least up to 23.976 framerate)!

• It is actually a USB 3.0 port, so the power is higher. And I do see the thunderbolt icon at the power up, but it does not seem to be present after that.

Anyhow, since the problem with HDR is now solved (and was not definitely related to the supply) I think we can close the discussion.

Thanks again to everybody for the support!

• And I do see the thunderbolt icon at the power up, but it does not seem to be present after that.

That's because the thunderbolt won't show up with the new graphics stack (i.e. while LE is running) so there won't be any visual notification in case of undervoltage or over-temperature, undervoltage is currently only logged to the kernel/system logs.

so long,

Hias