LibreELEC shows uid and gid 1000:1000 for most of the folders/files

• Hey guys,

I have been trying to mount LibreELEC on another device and after executing sudo chown user:group on that device, LibreELEC shows 1000:1000 for most folders/files and root:root only for a few. Is it possible to change the ownership of a mounted device?

Actually, the command id shows only this:

uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Here's the command I used to mount the LibreELEC device on the other device:

sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0,username=root,password=password,rw //192.168.0.101/Home /DATA/Downloads/share

Then

sudo chown user:group -R share/

• Your screenshot shows LibreELEC /storage directory with way too many files.

For LibreELEC it does not matter if files are owned by UID 1000 or UID 0.

• it is actually possible to change the ownership of the mounted device, I really can't believe this happened...

Is it possible to restore the folders/files ownership to the default LibreELEC user?

Actually, is this could be a problem? I don't have this uid and gid.

Your screenshot shows LibreELEC /storage directory with way too many files.

For LibreELEC it does not matter if files are owned by UID 1000 or UID 0.

Oh, that's great! Is it possible to change the mounted network device ownership to 1000 then?

Edited once, last by zzlatev: Merged a post created by zzlatev into this post. (April 14, 2024 at 2:12 PM).

• Oh, that's great! Is it possible to change the mounted network device ownership to 1000 then?

What is the point of that? LibreELEC sees files regardless of their ownership and your other device sees them with ownership that you set in your mount command.

Unless you forgot to mention that you attached libreelec disk to other system and then ran chown command not on SMB/CIFS mount point.

• IIRR permission modifications are possible when using SMB1 with Samba Unix Extensions. SMB1 is deprecated for good reasons today, please don't use it.

Changing permissions on /storage can be critical for system files and directories below /storage/{.cache,.config}. But because being "hidden" directories they fortunately may not be affected by your modification.

• Changing permissions on /storage can be critical for system files and directories below /storage/{.cache,.config}. But because being "hidden" directories they fortunately may not be affected by your modification.

Is it possible to check that, just in case? Thank you.

What is the point of that? LibreELEC sees files regardless of their ownership and your other device sees them with ownership that you set in your mount command.

Unless you forgot to mention that you attached libreelec disk to other system and then ran chown command not on SMB/CIFS mount point.

Because it's not working when I use this command to mount the LibreELEC device into my other device.
    sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=1.0,username=root,password=password,rw //192.168.0.101/Home /DATA/Downloads/share

After I mount the LibrELEC device, I still see that everything is under root.

That's why I wanted to change the mounted storage permission in LibreELEC instead in my other device.

Edited once, last by zzlatev: Merged a post created by zzlatev into this post. (April 14, 2024 at 3:01 PM).