Chromebox with Older Version

• Hey all,

I was previously running a server setup with a Chromebox I bought back in 2018. I had to disconnect the setup for some remodeling and had misplaced a few of the NAS drives so I hadn’t used Kodi in a year or two. Found the drives and connected everything and I booted it back up again, and I can’t update the version (its two versions old), and I can’t map media sources by browsing with NFS like I did before. I guess my questions are:

1) Is a six year old Chromebox still capable HTPC hardware for running the current version of LibreElec?

2) Do I just need to start fresh with a fresh install with the newest version since it seems that the update options in the LibreElec settings aren’t showing up there?

3) If it’s time to put the Chromebox out to pasture any recommendations on something similar in a similar price range that’s ready to run LibreElec out of the box? I have a Pi 3 B+ at another location but I found I needed to tweak it a bit to get it to work right along with paying for the codecs and all that and I just don’t have the fiddle time I used to.

• Something from 2018 probably runs fine still (and better than an RPi3B+) so I'd update the Chromebox firmware to current using https://mrchromebox.tech/ and make a clean reinstall with the current LE12 beta to ensure a clean state. If the current version is LE9 we don't support direct update to later releases anyway due to the Python2 > Python3 change that takes place since LE10; the core OS updates fine but add-ons can cause issues that aren't always simple for users to figure out.

• For whatever reason, it won’t show up in my home network so I can’t access it from the terminal to upgrade the firmware and run the script. I imaged an Sd card to run the current version, but is there a way to force it to boot from the SD card instead of the hard drive? I can’t remember if you hold down a key or if that was only at the beginning in developer mode when it still had the stock OS on it.