How to use MPD for native DSD via USB DAC

• I guess my question is even more general in that I have no idea how to use the MPD service add-on at all. Once installed, how do I utilize it?

For background, I posted this thread and was asked to repost my specific MPD question here Native DSD on Raspberry Pi

I know that native DSD via USB from a Raspberry Pi is possible, as VolumIO supports it. It is also my understanding that VolumIO is MPD based.

That's about where my understanding ends. I found this thread: Raspberry Pi 4 + LibreElec + Music Player Daemon + WavPack DSD

..but i don't understand how to actually USE mpd w/ kodi/libreELEC

can anybody walk me through this?

• mpd supports native dsd.

The configuration file for mpd is located at:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.mpd/config/mpd.conf

add some music files to the music directory and connect to the server with an mpd client. There are many clients available.

• You don't want to use the FFmpeg patch, because the resulting DSD-over-PCM would reduce audio quality. That means, you can't use HDMI. Kodi doesn't support native DSD over HDMI.

You need a digital USB audio interface (S/PDIF), or a HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro. The latter is known to work, so I suggest that.

Of course you need an AVR with S/PDIF and DSD support. If you own all those puzzle pieces, MPD should do the trick.