cant get VC-1 Coced to work on last stable 11.0.6 LE

• Hi, I have 3 of the Rpi 3 B+, 2 of them have no problem decoding VC-1 HW with LE 11.0.3

Now I wanted to try the 3rd Rpi 3 B+ with LE 11.0.6, it only stutters, I have the same setting in all...

Is there some changes to the latest 11.0.6 so it wont allow VC-1 HW decoding? cause it works in the 11.0.3

My VC-1 video files are 1080P and they have no problems running in LE 8.25 or 9.2.8 or 11.0.3 but not with the 11.0.6, why?

My VC-1 codecs are bought from Rasperri pi store..

Could it be so that I have forgotten how to add them right in the config file?

In the LE 8.2.5 and LE 9.2.8 you simply overwrite the #decode_WVC1=0x00000000 with decode_WVC1=0x00000000, then save and it works, but in LE 11.0.6 I dont know where in the config file to put the decode_WVC1=0x00000000?

• Could you please show me where to add it please

for example, on the 8.25. and 9.2.8 you simply put it here, save it and it works:

################################################################################
    # License keys to enable GPU hardware decoding for various codecs
    # to obtain keys visit the shop at http://www.raspberrypi.com
    ################################################################################

# decode_MPG2=0x00000000
    decode_WVC1=0x00000000

BUT the above text is not in the 11.0.6 config file, so where do i add the decode_WVC1=0x00000000

Edited 2 times, last by hundrakg: Merged a post created by hundrakg into this post. (March 30, 2024 at 1:25 PM).

• Any place in the /flash/config.txt should be fine. Actually, once you have entered a license key it should "stick" so you don't need to edit config.txt anymore.

What does vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1 report on your RPi?

I did a quick test with LE 11.0.6 on my RPi3B+ (without any keys in config.txt) and VC1 playback worked fine, pressing "o" on the keyboard showed that kodi was using the "ff-vc1_v4l2m2m-drm_prime (HW)" decoder and CPU load was quite low.

Code
    LibreELEC (official): 11.0.6 (RPi2.arm)
    kodi3:~ # vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1
    WVC1=enabled

Please post a debug log if you can't get it working.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • So you dont need any VC-1 License in the 11.0.6`?

Maybee its why it wont work in mine... I will try without the adding the VC-1 license code..

sorry, just tested, i only stutters on VC-1 playback... with or without the license code...

I give up, I will keep the LE 8.2.5

thanks...

Edited once, last by hundrakg: Merged a post created by hundrakg into this post. (March 30, 2024 at 1:48 PM).

• Of course you need a licence, and if in doubt add the decode... line to /flash/config.txt.

But IIRC for quite a long time (several years) it's fine if you had entered a valid license key once in the lifetime of the RPi, then the firmware mad the activated license "stuck" and you didn't need to add it on new installations.

Anyways, the vcgencmd codec_enabled command will tell you whether the license is enabled or not so please run that before digging further.

so long,

Hias

• ok, I dont understand where the: add the decode... line to /flash/config.txt. is?

Could you show me please where in the config file to add the decode_WVC1=0x00000000

for example here is where i did add the codecs in my Rpi3b NR1 and it works, bit this is with the LE 11.0.3:

[all]
    # Use distroconfig-composite.txt instead of distroconfig.txt to enable
    # composite video output.
    # The composite video mode needs to be configured in cmdline.txt:
    # For PAL add: video=Composite-1:720x576@50ie
    # For NTSC add: video=Composite-1:720x480@60ie
    include distroconfig.txt
    #include distroconfig-composite.txt
    decode_MPG2=0x00000000
    decode_WVC1=0x00000000

# uncomment to enable analog audio output
    #dtparam=audio=on
    #audio_pwm_mode=1

# uncomment to enable infrared remote receiver connected to GPIO 18
    #dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=18

Edited once, last by hundrakg: Merged a post created by hundrakg into this post. (March 30, 2024 at 2:01 PM).

• Yes, this looks fine (OFC replace 0x00000000 with your actual license).

But, for the 3rd time now, please run vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1 and post the result and a debug log.

so long,

Hias

• where can I download the 11.0.3 please, I want to try that one first just to check

found the 11.0.3,,, will try and report back soon

Edited once, last by hundrakg: Merged a post created by hundrakg into this post. (March 30, 2024 at 2:31 PM).

• I cant understand why, my VC1 codec works fine in 8.2.5 and 9.2.8 but not on the 11.0.3. or the 11.0.6

But on my other Rpi3 (have 2 more) it works fine on both with the LE 11

Mystery? maybee this Rpi3 is a older version of some kind. I give up, I will keep the 8.2.5 on this one as it works fine..

Thanks for all

• On the problematic pi3, ssh in and report output of:

Code
    grep Serial /proc/cpuinfo
    vcgencmd get_config decode_WVC1
    vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1

Don't worry about posting your code - it's no use to anyone (it's tied to your Pi's serial number).