TVHeadEnd Setup Quick Start - Testers Needed

• Great glad that you got SAT>IP working I didn't realize that TVHeadend would virtualize it as DVB-S like that. It resolves the concern I installing and maintaining a tuner device on LE so is a real plus for having an addon.

petediscrete, how does TVHeadend or the addon deal with needing 3 scan files on 28.2E/F and G?

Glad you asked that question. Effectively you have 3 satellites co-located at 28.2e.
    From what I can see they are broken down into separate satellites and listings for clarity sake.

I abandoned those predefined mux tables a long while back. All I do now is supply one known active mux in the mux section of TVH, run a scan and it picks up the complete list of active muxes receivable in my region. No duplicate muxes and no dead or non receivable muxes are added to my network.

You can of course add a Diseq setting per tuner, 2 in my case as the Sat/IP tuner is a twin tuner model in TVH which gives you an additional 8 satellite positions.

For DVBS I would highly recommend the Digibit Twin DVBS Sat/IP tuner. It practically configures itself as far as TVH and NPVR are concerned and no driver issues to consider with each kernel update.

• DeltaMikeCharlie tell me exactly what info you require and what method/format you wish me to use to collect it. I’m not sure what you want to learn from the Digibit Twin DVBS Sat/IP tuner other than it works flawlessly with TVH/LE.

I have not fully decided yet.

I plan on adding a hidden 'dump config' feature/button/hotkey (undecided) to the addon that will create a file with a copy of your TVH configuration that you can just post. It will probably contain a dump of the whole adapter device tree with all objects and properties as well as the network object(s). Maybe I will include the muxes because with crazyturk, it seems that the leaf adapter and the mux list need to match.

I have some family commitments for the next 4 days or so. Consequently, I probably won't be spending much time on this until next week some time.

• I have not fully decided yet.

I plan on adding a hidden 'dump config' feature/button/hotkey (undecided) to the addon that will create a file with a copy of your TVH configuration that you can just post. It will probably contain a dump of the whole adapter device tree with all objects and properties as well as the network object(s). Maybe I will include the muxes because with crazyturk, it seems that the leaf adapter and the mux list need to match.

I have some family commitments for the next 4 days or so. Consequently, I probably won't be spending much time on this until next week some time.

That makes two of us so. I’ll keep an eye out on the forum over the next week or so for any further updates from you.

• petediscrete & crazyturk

TVH-Quick-Start/script.quicktvh-v0.0.6.zip at main · DeltaMikeCharlie/TVH-Quick-Start
    TVHeadEnd PVR Quick Start Add-on for LibreELEC/Kodi - DeltaMikeCharlie/TVH-Quick-Start
    github.com

If you are willing, could you please download this special version and install it and run it on your live system?

DO NOT run the whole script, just go to the first menu and then exit.

After you have done this, there should be a file named 'dumpfile.txt' in '/storage/.kodi/addons/script.quicktvh'. This is a dump of your live adapters, networks and muxes. Here is a list of object types that it extracts: "linuxdvb_adapter", "linuxdvb_frontend", "dvb_network", "dvb_mux", "satip_client", "satip_frontend".

• Will this require a fresh install of LE or can I continue using the setup I used to test your Quick Start script

It needs to be run on a configures/running system, not a fresh system. I would prefer a live system that the TVH wizard created, however, a system created by this script will also so. The script takes a dump of the running configuration so that I can compare configurations.

Just run it and the exit at the first screen. The config dump is done during startup. No need to run through the whole script.

• I tried running your new script on the test setup but all it reported was "No adapters available". I removed all traces of TVH from the system, ran the script again. It installed TVH 4.3 server and TVH PVR client and thats it. I had to go to the TVH web UI to complete the setup which of course presents you with the TVH Configuration Wizard (yes it's actually a wizard). Is that all that your script is supposed to do. The dumpfile.txt is empty.

• I tried running your new script on the test setup but all it reported was "No adapters available". I removed all traces of TVH from the system, ran the script again. It installed TVH 4.3 server and TVH PVR client and thats it. I had to go to the TVH web UI to complete the setup which of course presents you with the TVH Configuration Wizard (yes it's actually a wizard). Is that all that your script is supposed to do. The dumpfile.txt is empty.

Thanks for trying.

The 'no adapters' message occurs after the dump has been performed. I take it that adapters were installed and that the TVH Wizard found them and was able to correctly configure the system.

Did you try to run the quick start after the TVH Wizard was complete? If so, what was the result?

If I recall correctly, you are using SAT>IP. When you ran the quick start a few days ago, did you do anything special to make TVH see the SAT>IP server?

• No. I accessed the TVH web GUI which as I mentioned presents you with the TVH web GUI Wizard on first run and from where I continued the TVH configuration.

Maybe you could do a screen by screen grab of what to expect from your script in LE. I’m still unsure at my end what is to be expected from your script. Yes it installs TVH server and the TVH client but that’s about it as far as I’m concerned.

• I’m still unsure at my end what is to be expected from your script.

It is the same script that it has always been, I have just added a configuration dump at the beginning.

If you run the script on a configured system (TVH Wizard is fine), it will create the configuration dump file and then present you with the first configuration screen. Exit at that first configuration screen without running the rest of the script. The dump file should be in the addon directory.

Just a small hint: Users love to know what a wizard does under the hood. Something like a visual checklist would be nice.

After the configuration parameters have been set by the user, as the script runs and performs the configuration, it has a status window on the right hand side that shows the progress. More details can also be found in the Kodi log file.

Edited once, last by DeltaMikeCharlie: Merged a post created by DeltaMikeCharlie into this post. (March 26, 2024 at 9:26 PM).

• I think it’s best if you documented exactly what your TVH quick start script does in LE.

At the risk of repeating myself all your quick start script has done for me is install both the TVH 4.3 server addon and TVH Client PVR addon. It then returns to the Program addon. screen without any further configuration options or action required. I needed to complete the TVH configuration by SSH remotely into the box.

As I said you need to outline exactly what your LE addon script will achieve in LE without stepping outside of the LE environment but that’s entirely up to you.

• petediscrete - Thanks for your patience.

From your post dated 19 March 2024, I assumed that the script worked successfully for you. Did it work successfully for you then?

petediscrete
    March 19, 2024 at 5:34 PM

Are you saying that with the config dump version (v0.0.6) that you never see the initial config screen? If this is so, can you please look in the Kodi log? Perhaps there is a crash during the config dump process.

Did you set a password on your TVH server?
    Did you install v0.0.6?

The functionality of the script remains essentially unchanged to that of 19-Mar, I have just added a config dump that occurs during startup.

• But I did comment previously that I finished the TVH configuration in the TVH web GUI which presents the user with the first time TVH Configuration Wizard. That was achieved via SSH into the TVH web GUI. Nothing to do with LE or your quick start script. All your quick start script did for me was install the two TVH addons in LE.

This is why I’m suggesting that you document EXACTLY what the user should expect by using your setup script addon.

• This version should:

1. Check for TVH server/client and install if necessary.
    2. Do the config dump.
    3. Present the user with the main config screen.
    4. The user can then continue selecting the protocol/country/region, etc, or just exit.

For the purposes of this specific test, I just need to config dump for comparison purposes. Because you seem to not be getting to the main config screen, I suspect that the config dump is crashing and that will be seen in the Kodi log.

As far as testing goes, I have had two successes and one failure.

In order to assess why the one failure occurred, I added the config dump so that I could compare a working system (yours) to a failed system (crazyturk).

v0.0.6 is a special version that included the config dump.

• I already told you the config dump text file was empty. I checked it myself. If you prefer work away with the two successes you’ve had.

I think you’re original instinct about only having this working with DVBT may be correct as you don’t have access to DVBS broadcasts via satellite and from what I can gather so far my testing has been of little value to you.

• from what I can gather so far my testing has been of little value to you.

No, it has been very valuable, thank you very much. :) You have demonstrated that the script works on a SAT>IP system.

original instinct about only having this working with DVBT may be correct

I think perhaps a caveat along the lines of, "Tested and working with DVB-T. Results on other protocols unknown".