Restore without upgrade

• Is there a better way of carrying out a restore from backup without installing an update?

I backedup Kodi prior to messing with cables. Before the backup I'd dropped an update from the nightlies. Turned Kodi off, when I turned back on it went through the update as expected. Unfortunately , the nightly included an update to Kodi 21 which will not run my modified Estuary skin. I did eventually find that if I dropped the nightly from the backed up version into Update and then reboot I went back to what I wanted. I originally thought I could just delete the update from the .tar backup but I can't find it in there using 7zip on Windows.

• The backup function in the LE settings add-on captures /storage/.cache, /storage/.config, and /storage/.kodi ONLY .. anything else that you put on /storage (including tar files in /storage/.update) will not be backed up. If you want more comprehensive backups; use the Kodi backup add-on or write your own backup script (and automate with cron or a systemd timer).

• OK, that explains why I couldn't find the update in the .tar but it missed the point that when I restored it ran the update. If someone is doing a restore then I would guess that in the vast majority of cases they would not want the update to run.