Raspberry 5 cooling fan control

• I can add to this that i installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS again, let it update and then installed LE once more and the fan is acting normal.

My wild guess is that this has something to do with the firmware update (through the LE configuration addon).

• I use a Pi5 in a FLIRC case and no matter what type of content I am playing, temps are under 55c. Completely passive cooling. The CPU will run to over 85c before thermal throttling occurs.

• I use a Pi5 in a FLIRC case and no matter what type of content I am playing, temps are under 55c. Completely passive cooling. The CPU will run to over 85c before thermal throttling occurs.

I should have gone with passive cooling for sure!

Now i do more than just play media on my raspberry pi 5, i also host a couple of docker containers such as qbittorrent, autobrr, swag, jellyfin, gluetun and duckdns.

Temp right now is 52.7c without playing any media and the RPi5 has been online but idle over the night

• I should have gone with passive cooling for sure!

Now i do more than just play media on my raspberry pi 5, i also host a couple of docker containers such as qbittorrent, autobrr, swag, jellyfin, gluetun and duckdns.

Temp right now is 52.7c without playing any media and the RPi5 has been online but idle over the night

Cool, youre not running LibreELEC on this Pi then?

My backup plan for additional cooling if needed, is simply to use a 'cooling fan pad' like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CDL2HW6C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3C69Z8RHG3G6K&psc=1

Just put the pi in the FLIRC case on top of it and youve got all that surface area of the case, combined with active airflow.

• Cool, youre not running LibreELEC on this Pi then?

My backup plan for additional cooling if needed, is simply to use a 'cooling fan pad' like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C…Z8RHG3G6K&psc=1

Just put the pi in the FLIRC case on top of it and youve got all that surface area of the case, combined with active airflow.

I am running LibreELEC on this raspberry pi 5. I have decided to cut down on as much devices as i possible can, and bake it into one device in total. At the moment this is working kinda good, in the future when i am going to expand to a bigger filesystem it's going to create some problems and i will be forced to run two devices. Mostly because LibreELEC does not support raid, and using raid over USB is not a good idea. I could build a sata NAS out of it with some additional plugin hardware for the raspberry pi devices, but then the bottleneck would still be LibreELEC's lack of raid, LVM and whatnot.

I am running the stock fan cooler on my RPi 5 with some pibow case. The ninja one to be more specific.

Pibow Coupe 5 (Case for Raspberry Pi 5) – Ninja (pimoroni.com)

However i believe that the flirc case would have been better regarding the sound level this thing can create sometimes, with the caveat that metal cases causes a lower performance for the Wi-Fi connection.

• Yeah the bigger the fan the lower noice it will be (at lower RPM's). So this stock cooling fan can be a bit noisy when it spins up due to it's smal fan blades :D

Your build looks epic!