Raspberry 5 cooling fan control

• Hello,

running Libreelec 11.0.4 on a Raspberry 5 with official case. This case has a cooling fan. This fan is running all the time. Even at 35 degrees system temperature. Its way too loud to use it as a media center anymore. How can I control this fan??? Thx

• If the fan only has two wires, then it's just an on/off fan. If it has at least three, then fan speed control is possible.

I assume Raspberry Pi OS has instructions for the official RPi5 case. So search on RPi OS forum first. If you find something, come back and post a link. Usually we can adapt it for LE.

• The fan has a 4-pin connector (5V, GND, PWM, RPM/pulse sense input) - like standard PC fans.

DT params to adjust the fan temp/speed curve have just been added to the RPi kernel, I'll update the kernel in LE soon so it'll be available in nightlies - hopefully in the next few days.

so long,

Hias

• Strange, I use Libreelec 12 nightly build and I have no problems with the fan, it spends most of the time off and when it is running it is silent, except when the OS starts.

• Strange, I use Libreelec 12 nightly build and I have no problems with the fan, it spends most of the time off and when it is running it is silent, except when the OS starts.

Same with me, I'm using the Argon NEO 5 and the fan doesn't even spin unless the temp hits 50'C and will only run at 50% speed at 60'C (doesn't really get hotter than that often in this case)

• The fan has a 4-pin connector (5V, GND, PWM, RPM/pulse sense input) - like standard PC fans.

DT params to adjust the fan temp/speed curve have just been added to the RPi kernel, I'll update the kernel in LE soon so it'll be available in nightlies - hopefully in the next few days.

so long,

Hias

Thank you so much in advance. Then I reconfigure my RPI5 and install the latest nightly build. Then I can already try the LE12.

• Problem solved. Very sorry. Installed LE12 nightly. This did not help. I read again, that it should be a 4-pin connector. Mine had only 3 pins. So this was a broken connector. Maybe its so fragile, that I damaged it. I repaired the connector and now it works.
    Thank you all for responding!