Video suddenly freezes, buffers and then crashes

• No Problem, I have also changed some NFS settings on my NAS and will try out a few more things here. As I said, I have this problem with two different Kodi systems. Both systems differ in the case, but access the same DB and source. So the error must lie somewhere in this area.

I'll replace the Gbic on the NAS anyway, you never know.../shrug

I'm confused to the max myself because I've been using Kodi for a really long time and nothing has changed in the environment (before the error - apart from updates on the systems). If I find the error, I will of course let you know.

• Code
    Feb 16 19:10:56.709875 LibreELEC kernel: vc4-drm gpu: [drm] *ERROR* Failed to read TMDS config: -121

I've never seen this error on a Pi. It comes from an SCDC command to check scrambling status (something specific to 4kp60 modes).

This uses the I2C pin (also used for reading edid) to communicate with the display.

I'd typically suggest trying with a different hdmi cable, trying a different hdmi input to display, or trying a different display.

But:

As of today, I use an RPi4 4GB in an Argon One housing.

Argon cases are widely reported to cause hdmi issues, so first step would be to test without the case.

A workaround would be to avoid 4kp60 modes (4kp30 should be okay).

As most 4k content is 24fps or 30fps this may not lose you much.

Choose 1080p60 as GUI resolution and enable 4kp24 and 4kp30 in the whitelist.

• Argon cases are widely reported to cause hdmi issues, so first step would be to test without the case.

I've mentioned that earlier:

Hunduster
    January 10, 2024 at 10:07 PM

Yes, Argon One cases are known for soldering problems on HDMI contacts, but then it wouldn't try to buffer before it crashes. A network issue is much more likely. If I remember correctly, log level 2 includes more network data.

Hunduster Can you provide another log file for that error at log level 2? We still haven't found the real cause in the log.

• Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your answers.

The 4kp60 is another good tip. I don't even remember why I activated it in the first place because, as you said popcornmix, the movies usually end up below 30FPS.

I've just removed the parameter.

I've mentioned that earlier:

Hunduster
    January 10, 2024 at 10:07 PM

Yes, Argon One cases are known for soldering problems on HDMI contacts, but then it wouldn't try to buffer before it crashes. A network issue is much more likely. If I remember correctly, log level 2 includes more network data.

Hunduster Can you provide another log file for that error at log level 2? We still haven't found the real cause in the log.

As I said, I don't think it's the case. I first replaced it during my own troubleshooting because I thought it could be the SD card. I also run all my Ubuntu servers in the case on other Raspis, as I kept burning SD cards. But well, that's not an argument, the servers are all headless, connected to the network and are only operated via SSH :S

However, I still have a Kodi running in the bedroom with the same config in the original Kodi case and SD card, where the same error occurred with exactly the same behavior. I therefore suspect the error is also in the network and had completely replaced the network equipment at the time. The only thing that is still 1:1 the same is the NAS itself and the connection to the NAS. I will replace the Gbic and Fibre Channel cable prohylactically at the end of the week.

I will be happy to provide a log as soon as the error occurs again. Since I changed the NFS settings from NFSv3 to NFSv4 the day before yesterday and also made granular adjustments to the NFS settings on my NAS, the error has no longer occurred.

We'll see if it had anything to do with that. It would be nice, although I've been fine with NFSv3 for the last few years. As I said, I've only had the bug since late summer 2023 and that from now on.

• Hello everyone,

I wanted to get back to you once again. Since I switched from NFSv3 to NFSv4, I haven't had a crash since then.

Kodi now has a 1 second pause when exiting media where the screen goes black before returning to the menu interface but that's OK with me. I think this is due to NFSv4.

If, contrary to expectations, there are problems again, I will contact you again. Thanks again for your prompt help in this thread!