LE 12.0 added lvm2, luks (dm-crypt, veracrypt), mdraid, ext4 encryption

• Hi Sky42,

I recently posted in General support however today I just noticed your main post about the community builds. If its ok ill re-post my issue here.

The issue is I can't boot using your community builds with the RPi5 arm LE12 images 240426 and 240531. Using a fresh RPi5 image I'm getting the following on screen errors:

"kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel....."

"SMP: stopping secondary CPUs"

"Kernel offset: disabled"

I've been using your builds since LE11. I need dm-crypt and its been working fine on my RPi3. However, the images for the RPi5 does not work at all and I'm stuck on the boot screen.

Booting into a regular LibreElec12 RPi5 image works fine with no issues so I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any tips would be appreciated. Maybe i need to configure something to make it boot sucessfully ?

Thanks for building these images with dm-crypt. In my opinion dm-crypt should be installed by default for all regular images too.

• Just did a clean rebuild for RPi5 but same error that he could not execute init.
    I need to make some cross checking and building, but that will take time as one clean build takes nearly 1h.

So for now no LE12 RPi5 image.
    Needs to be something very special to RPi5, because i checked RPi4 and at least 240531 is working.
    I have no idea what or where to check.

• I think i spotted the culprit. I missed the change to ARCH=aarch64 for the following devices Allwinner (A64 H5 H6), Amlogic (AMLGX), RPi (RPi4 RPi5).
    So maybe they are all broken in my LE12 builds. A quick test of RPi4 did work, but RPi5 does not.

I will rebuild all images in the right config / setup and the release a new full set.

• Hi Sky42,

Thanks for looking into it. At least we know what could be the issue. I'm in no rush as I know all your work is on your spare time so no worries and thanks again for including dm-crypt.

Hopefully one day the LE team or KODI team will add it by default.

• Sorry to hear that you deleted the wrong images. Hopefully you can recover from a backup.

Good news. It boots! I haven't tested the encrypted folder yet but will get to that soon and let you know.

Not sure about one thing. I noticed lots of disk/Green light activity. Since booting, its almost constantly on, for 25 mins so far. Funny I also noticed that on the vanilla LE12 image too. I didn't take it seriously since I was just testing out the LE12 image but now i'm wondering whats going on. Safe to say its an LE12 problem.

• version 12.0.0-#240609/11
    I did build some LE12 images wrong. As stated in post 22. All not correct build images are deleted from the download server.
    This is a full rebuild of all images in 2 stages. All but Allwinner is 240609 and after a small correction Allwinner 240611.

download link https://sky42.libreelec.tv/release/12.0/

based on LE 12.0.0 https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…/libreelec-12.0

changelog
    - upstream update
    - corrected build script ARCH to aarch64 for RPi4 RPi5 A64 H5 H6 AMLGX
    - Allwinner fix 6.6.32 (deleted now inlcuded patch)

my source diff https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…v:12.0.0-240611

• Krobar done with 6.6.32

Just wanted to say thanks. I have a choice of issues depending on which LSPCON I use with my Coffeelake VMs but this build for the first time ever gives a better overall experience than Windows in my setup so am running Libreelec daily now for the first time.

BT2020 works with the onboard PS175 LSPCon with updated firmware. I assume it is not mainline because the GUI colours do not adjust?

I'm seeing a few other edge issues too which I think might be Kodi related. A sort of flicker / OSD only graphics corruption sometimes occurs in the GUI when switching TV channels (Swear I saw another user report this in the N100 threads) and my choice of game emulators seems far smaller than Windows (I wonder if this is related to the Kodi being a dev version).

The last issue I'm seeing is multi channel PCM is not bit perfect even with passthrough enabled (Stereo PCM is bit perfect, I tested that with some DTS CD albums). Not yet sure if this is related to the Bitstreaming kernel fix or something else but it is bit perfect in the LE12 official release although no DTS HD or TrueHD bit streaming works with that build/kernel.

Edited once, last by Krobar (June 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM).

• version 12.0.0-#240621

download link https://sky42.libreelec.tv/release/12.0/

based on LE 12.0.0 https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr%E2%80%A6/libreelec-12.0

changelog

release: 12.0.0-#240621
    - upstream update
    - linux: update to 6.6.34
    - linux (RPi): update to 6.6.34-f54dbdd (cherry picked from master)
    - kodi: update to 01bd800 (pickup a TrueHD and PVR fix)
    - linux (Generic): enable all Intel pinctrl drivers

my source diff https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…v:12.0.0-240621

• Krobar You are welcome. I do not have answers or or solutions for questions/problems. I did give up a very long time ago to get my CFL + LSPCon wroking with all the things i want and Audio was a big Problem. I do have IIRC many Adapter with 4x PS176, 1x MC290, 1x MC2907 none was working perfect. The only LSPCon that did work correctly was a NUC8i7 with the MC2800, but that one you can not buy as a standalone adapter.

• Krobar You are welcome. I do not have answers or or solutions for questions/problems. I did give up a very long time ago to get my CFL + LSPCon wroking with all the things i want and Audio was a big Problem. I do have IIRC many Adapter with 4x PS176, 1x MC290, 1x MC2907 none was working perfect. The only LSPCon that did work correctly was a NUC8i7 with the MC2800, but that one you can not buy as a standalone adapter.

Do you see overly rich colours in the GUI when playing back content in BT2020? (The video itself looks very good)

I tried a Belkin PS176 based adapter. Behaviour was perfect with audio and all refresh rates supported but it did not support HDR by design (Firmware was 0x07 0x55, AKA 7.85)

• Hi,
    I'm have an problem where the /dev device for LVM is not available when I try to mount it my storage-repository.service. i.e. the LVM startup process is not yet finished.

Is there some "target" or other "service" I should be waiting on/wanting to ensure the LVM is devices are available?

I've found systemd-udev-settle.service - but that doesn't look right.

This article looks relevant, but complicated - must be something simpler.

systemd: Configure correct dependencies with LVM devices
    I have a device setup that I don't know how to model correctly with systemd: The setup I have the following setup: ---------…
    serverfault.com

Thanks,

Neeto

Edited once, last by neeto33 (July 1, 2024 at 5:37 AM).

• Hi,
    Ok - decided to actually update to version 12.

I have one LV "storage2" across to PVs

In the journal I get:
    Feb 28 04:26:07 nas05 systemd[1]: Started lvm-activate-storage2.service.
    Feb 28 04:26:07 nas05 lvm[1284]: Can't process LV storage2/repository2: raid1 target support missing from kernel?
    Feb 28 04:26:07 nas05 lvm[1284]: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "storage2" now active
    Feb 28 04:26:07 nas05 systemd[1]: lvm-activate-storage2.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=5/NOTINSTALLED
    Feb 28 04:26:07 nas05 systemd[1]: lvm-activate-storage2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

systemd creates lvm-activate-storage2.service:

nas05:/run/systemd/transient # cat lvm-activate-storage2.service
    # This is a transient unit file, created programmatically via the systemd API. Do not edit.
    [Unit]
    Description=/sbin/lvm vgchange -aay --autoactivation event storage2
    DefaultDependencies=no

[Service]
    ExecStart=
    ExecStart="/sbin/lvm" "vgchange" "-aay" "--autoactivation" "event" "storage2"

I try to manually run the ExecStart command

nas05:/run/systemd/transient # /sbin/lvm vgchange -aay --autoactivation event storage2
    /letv/12/0x/build.LibreELEC-RPi4.aarch64-12.0.0/toolchain/bin/modprobe: execvp failed: No such file or directory
    /letv/12/0x/build.LibreELEC-RPi4.aarch64-12.0.0/toolchain/bin/modprobe failed: 2
    Can't process LV storage2/repository2: raid1 target support missing from kernel?
    0 logical volume(s) in volume group "storage2" now active

Help!

• neeto33 sorry for teh lvm fail. That looks like i have to figure out how to put a lvm binary in there that uses the right PATH and not the one it was build in. That will need some testing and probably lots of rebuilds.

• neeto33 try to load the needed kernel modules before using lvm. I need to fix that it does not find modprobe to do it on its own.

do this
    ( cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/md/ ; ls -1 dm-* | grep -Eo '^dm-[^\.]+' ) >/storage/.config/modules-load.d/lvm.conf
    and reboot
    that will load all device mapper kenrnel modules that the kernel has.
    Most likely loading dm-raid and/or dm-mirror should be enough.
    Check with lsmod | grep dm if the modules are loaded.

Hope that helps. I do not have right now a LE setup where i can test lvm with raid.

• download link https://sky42.libreelec.tv/release/12.0/

based on LE 12.0.0 https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…/libreelec-12.0

changelog for release: 12.0.0-#240704
    - upstream update
    - linux: update to 6.6.35
    - lvm2: fix configure modprobe path ( problem found by neeto33 )

my source diff https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…v:12.0.0-240704

neeto33 This release should fix your problem and you should not need /storage/.config/modules-load.d/lvm.conf anymore