[RPi5] USB SSD drive unmounting after a while

• I seem to have an issue (seems to be consistent across several nightlies now) that after a while, the SSD which is connected via USB 3.0 unmounts, prompting a restart of the Pi 5. It doesn't seem to happen when watching content so must be some kind of low power state the Pi 5 enters when idle. I can interact with Libreelec but none of my files are present and I can't ssh into the Pi; I'm assuming all I'm interacting with here is what is loaded into RAM.

I'm using the official 27 watt power plug, and never had this issue when using a Pi 4 (with the standard Pi 4 plug) so it must be some new, lower power usage features unmounting the SSD. Or maybe something to do with HDMI CEC when the TV is turned off.

Any ideas? Thank you

• Try to connect through SSH before the issue happen. Then let the box to fell into idle state and you should be still able to display the kernel log with dmesg command to see what happened.

• If the device is booted from USB? and then the device unmounts the OS will mark things read-only and a bunch of things will stop working. Run "journalctl -f" and you might get lucky and see somehing in the journal before things start to fail. If you're unable to SSH in then it's likely the connection drops so you won't be able to run dmesg.

• My experience is (using USB to SATA & SATA HDD to boot & run LE) like described in my previous post. If the boot device is unmounted and there's SSH connection already, it's not dropped and some commands (including dmesg) still works.

But of course it's not able to make a new SSH connection anymore (even if the boot device is remounted).

• hi

i have expirience so much the same when the external disk (USB) not mounted & not recognize by the OS after upgrading to 11.xx .

i even tried to upgrade to 12.00 but it didnt help, the issue reamins.

what solve the problem for me is downgrade the OS to 10.

• Apologies for the late reply... been busy with the festive period.

Thank you very much for the replies. I've been updating to the latest nightly every time a new one has released and the issue persists. The issue with having a constant ssh connection is the issue is very sporadic. Sometimes the uptime will be a day or two, other times it'll be a few hours; it's very inconsistent.

Is there a more permanent log file which I can look at which persists between reboots?

genisho It doesn't look like OS 10 is an option for me since i'm using the RPi 5 here but I might go so far as to try a version 11 nightly and see if the issue persists there.

• Actually, by chance i think I managed to catch the errors with those logging commands

So that seems to be what happens when the drive unmounts. That final error is me trying to ssh with a third terminal

• And it looks like I may not be alone with this issue (as a sanity check): https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=361171

Pi 5 xHCI controller fails during disk-to-disk copy behind a hub · Issue #5753 · raspberrypi/linux
    Describe the bug Doing an rsync between two spinning rust drives attached to the same hub causes a suspected controller lockup. The symptom is [ 194.841355]…
    github.com

How do I do the equivalent of: sudo rpi-update pulls/5778 on libreelec please?

• LE tracks the upstream Pi repo's closely so if using any nightly images we're probably already on the latest update for kernel and firmware. You can update the boot eeprom with "rpi-eeprom-update -a" but there's nothing else (USB firmware is an RPi4 only thing).