[RPi5] Power requirements? Should I get the better power supply?

• Just received my Pi5 and noticed that I actually have to use a different power supply to the 5.1V 3A Pi 4 model[1]. I've noticed that libreelec sometimes fails to boot on the original power supply as it gets hung on the boot screen logo but swapping to my Steam Deck's 45 W powersupply fixed the issue and it boots very quickly. I have two questions:

1) What is everyone elses experience with the Pi5's power requirements? I was kind of hoping to run Libreelec in more of a low power environment but even on the Pi 4's charger, it was hitting around 70-80 'C during playback (and network file transfer).

2) Can I get away with something like this since the official black Pi 5 power supplies are all out of stock.

Many thanks

[1] You don't necessarily need to, but you need to edit the config.txt file with usb_max_current_enable=1 to get the thing to actually boot)

• From some site on the webs. Try guessing which.

---

Your questions answered

Will my Raspberry Pi 4 power supply work with Raspberry Pi 5?

Raspberry Pi 5 is a higher-performance computer than Raspberry Pi 4, and you may have problems using an under-powered supply. We recommend a high-quality 5V 5A USB-C power supply, such as the new Raspberry Pi 27W USB-C Power Supply.

---

x Volt * y Amp = z Watt

5 * 5 = 25 Watt

• Using the RPi5 with a 3A PS is fine if you don't connect any bus-powered HDDs/SSDs. You can get away using a powered USB hub though.

Other than that I strongly recommend buying the official RPi5 PS (I got white ones about 2 weeks ago) - pretty much all other USB PD powersupplies can't deliver 5A at 5V.

so long,

Hias