LE12.0.3 on the RPi4B: Midnight Commander screen updates really clunky

• As with all my previous LE installations, I added Midnight Commander from the repo because I use it a lot. But this time, with LE12.0.3 on the RPi4B, using it is a pain. When I start it takes about 5 seconds for MC to appear on screen, and every time I move the selection bar up or down the entire screen is being redrawn. Previously screen updates were quite smooth and only those characters on the screen that needed it were redrawn.

Has something fundamentally changed in how MC (and perhaps other applications like it) work with the terminal client during an SSH session?

// F

• You are talking about thing that is happening since v11.0.0. I think nano is impacted by same ridiculous screen redraw too. You probably got typo in "LE1`2.0.3" or time machine.

tokul
    March 10, 2023 at 4:50 PM

Edited once, last by tokul (October 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM).

• It's probably something related to ncurses library or terminfo. It would require someone probably reverting commits to identify when it worked and when it was broken, and doing runtime testing to isolate the cause.

It doesn't really bother me, but I have also noticed it. I don't use midnight commander, so don't care about that. But I have noticed it in htop.

• It's probably something related to ncurses library or terminfo. It would require someone probably reverting commits to identify when it worked and when it was broken, and doing runtime testing to isolate the cause.

It doesn't really bother me, but I have also noticed it. I don't use midnight commander, so don't care about that. But I have noticed it in htop.

Yes, you're right, htop is also affected (although it's less noticeable there).

• Yes, you're right, htop is also affected (although it's less noticeable there).

Yeah, mc is a trainwreck, there is just so much more to draw. There is a PR now, just waiting on review by the developers. The other big issue is it would require bumping the addons and rebuilding.

I rebuilt system-tools & network-tools with the PR for LE12, and it's smooth now.

• I use alias to change default mc behavior:
    alias mc='TERM=xterm;mc -X -u'

This speedup execution (something with subshell) and remove screen flickering (TERM=linux is default).

Disadvantage is lack of frames and different keyboard handling.