[RPi4B] Argon One Case Shutdown

• Why isn't the plugin in the LibreElec repository?

I doesn't have a automatic build process ready and I honestly currently don't know what's all required to make it part of a LE repo.
    May be I must extent my test scenarios first, to prevent that I publish a buggy version.

For example, this week I stumbled over the regression, that in version 0.0.13 I introduced throwing of a exception with setting "Fan always on" is enabled. If this setting is set to enabled, the fan isn't running. I thought I have tested, but it seems I didn't.
    Version 0.0.12a shouldn't affected by this. And as temporary workaround with version 0.0.13, you can lower the threshold to get the fan running all the time.

Such things shouldn't happend with a Addon in a official repo...

• Yes, that was my first test: Fan always on. And it didn't work ;) so i thought the addon in general doesn't work.

Can you built in a switch for the Argon remote and the others so it doesn't break the other remotes when installing the addon without the lock file? I believe one should actively choose to use the Argon remote instead of the formerly used one. You could backupcopy the previously used remote config files also?

Edited 2 times, last by ApexDE (April 21, 2024 at 5:05 PM).

• Yes, that was my first test: Fan always on. And it didn't work ;) so i thought the addon in general doesn't work.

I wished, that such issues are reported here, and not silently switched back to an old version. Like the issue above, sometimes I detect that randomly only. And so long I believing all things are fine.

Can you built in a switch for the Argon remote and the others so it doesn't break the other remotes when installing the plugin without the lock file? I believe one should actively choose to use the Argon remote instead of the formerly used one. You could backupcopy the previously used remote files also?

It's not so easy like it sounds. In my opinion the best way would be, if a dialog were opened during the installation process if a existing configuration has been detected. But it seems that it's currently not supported by KODI for Addons, or I doesn't know the way for.

Because I wanted to force the migration to the modern way with ir-keytables, it was needed to delete the old lircd.conf, which was provided by the version < 0.0.10. Default this file doesn't exist in LE.
    I don't have a statistic, which way (lircd vs. keymaps) the most users using with their own remote control configuration, and therefore I'm been unsure which files I should check to make this process bullet proof.

As a simple solution I thought about in the past, to add a switch to create/delete the lock file from menu. But this will not prevent, that your configuration will be overwritten during the first installation of the Addon. To prevent this, I must set the remote control file copy process default to off. It needs a restart of KODI to reload the remote config, as far as I know. But there are also users with the origin Argon IR remote, they need the configuration file from the Addon and may expect that the remote work out of the box, after the Addon is installed successful.

That's the conflict I'm in.

• you could build in a switch where you can choose to use the argon receiver or "other ones" ? When switched to argon the previous configs are backuped and when turning off the previous backuped ones are copied back?

• The Addon can't backup files, which are not exists during installation or after the settings menu was closed with OK.
    Please be aware: The known switch object in the Addon settings menu isn't able to trigger directly an action! This could be create a gap in your idea and needs additional handling. For example if someone will change/add his own files, after the plugin was installed and is already running. Such edge cases must be taken into account.

I would prefer the way, to add the Argon IR remote to the existing list for coexistence, if that possible. But this depends on how the custom remotes were added.

Like I wrote before, the Addon (depending on the version) currently add only files to the ".config" directory like rc_maps.cfg and lircd.conf. This are 2 different ways to add a custom remote, but the resulting behavior is different.

Please can you provide more details, which file(s) you have restored, to make your remote control working again?

• Okay, this looks like a little bit different constellation. If i'm right, then the remote you using relies on the default remote profiles. Or do you have added an "rc_map.cfg" or "lircd.conf" file manually in the past to get it work?
    You can check if one of these files exists in the "/storage/.config" folder.

Hint: Instead of a restore the complete configuration, in your case it would be enough to delete the rc_maps.cfg in /storage/.config. Just for completeness also delete the remaining "/storage/.config/rc_keymaps/argon40.toml".

In this case, I already had on my to-do list to find a working merge solution.

• Version 0.0.14 beta 2 released:

• avoid overwriting the existing rc_maps configuration, just add Argon REMOTE
    • automatically switch between Celsius/Fahrenheit, depending on regional/temperature setting
    • language file refactored
    • regression: fan always-on setting and emergency fan (90°) doesn't worked
    • switched to official add-on versioning

With this version in the most cases it shouldn't needed anymore to create the lock file to protect the own remote control configuration.
    But for the worst case, for example if someone is using a lircd.conf file, the lock file support remains.

• Downloaded from github right now , but latest libreelec version gives installing error.

tried version 0.0.0.13 that installed without problems. so i guess ther's someting wrong.

btw in github the option issues is disabled ,no way to open a report.

thanks for all you are doing to keep alive this progect !

• Ok I realized now that if I download from the second page the 0.0.0.14 beta2.zip works fine.

I thought that on the GitHub was the same thing as many plugins ready to install..maybe not

• Downloaded from github right now , but latest libreelec version gives installing error.

Until now I only provided ready to install add-on packages here (attachments are at the end of the text):

HarryH
    August 2, 2023 at 9:57 PM

So I don't really know what you are talking about and need more details with an exact version and, if necessary, a link to the debug log.
    Perhaps you tried the original version 0.0.1 from Argon, which is known that it not working with versions, which are newer than LibreELEC 9?

• Until now I only provided ready to install add-on packages here (attachments are at the end of the text):

HarryH
    August 2, 2023 at 9:57 PM

So I don't really know what you are talking about and need more details with an exact version and, if necessary, a link to the debug log.
    Perhaps you tried the original version 0.0.1 from Argon, which is known that it not working with versions, which are newer than LibreELEC 9?

My error. i download the zip from github and was installing it direct. but was failing the installation, just later i realized that there was a file attached in post 2 with the right one. installed perfect now. thanks

• That's nice. :)

Also if you got the outdated add-on download not from my repository, you are right that "issues" is disabled. I'm currently undecided, if I should enable this opportunity or not. From the workflow view it would be the right way if someone like you can use it, but I have not the time to moderate this.

• I have to say that this is a really great job you are doing !

Nice addon, organization on github, so really really thanks for sharing your hours for this :thumbup:

• chewitt ,

I'm appreciate your offer and hasn't forgot this Thread :)

Until now I was focused to make the technical part right. I wasn't unhappy with the original add-on icon, but it makes sense to follow a unified style.
    Shortly after I enabled the issues option at the GitHub repo yesterday, it seems there is an interest to make some cosmetic changes...

• Version 1.1.0 released:

• add-on icon changed to follow LE style (thanks chewitt for providing this)
    • issue #5: fan art modified to be more generic
    • issue #4: localization for Italian added
    • localization for German added

Edit:

Version 1.1.1 released:

• some typos and translation errors fixed

Edited once, last by HarryH (May 22, 2024 at 10:47 PM).