RPi 4 vs 3200g performance wise

• at the moment i run LE on a B450 mainboard with an 3200g and 16GB.

I have also got a RPi 4 (4GB i think) here. This unit has never done anything before. So it is jobless.

I am wondering if / when i switch from my 3200g to the RPi4 if i will be able to watch the same things i do now.

Not a 100% sure about the terminologie but will, 2160p UHD/Bluray 10 bit H265/H264 + all the sound variants still work? Is the RPi4 powerful enough?

• RPi4 is able to play 4k just fine, the cpu performance is rather limited compared to the 3200g that should be noticeable if you navigate through the menus. Overall the RPi4 should work just fine.

• RPi4 is able to play 4k just fine, the cpu performance is rather limited compared to the 3200g that should be noticeable if you navigate through the menus. Overall the RPi4 should work just fine.

Open my folders (quite a lot of files) takes a few seconds at the moment. Will opening and browsing through my folders (on a synology) will be also noticable slower?

• will be also noticable slower?

Hi,

Not too many people have both devices to be able to compare for you... and the "noticable slower" is not an exact measurement...

Install the latest LE11 stable or the latest LE12 beta to a not too old (to not have slow read speed) SD card, insert in your RPi4 and check it. Will took for you less than one hour and you will have the answer... :)

• Open my folders (quite a lot of files) takes a few seconds at the moment.

sounds like you are not using the library function of Kodi so open the files directly from the share takes some time, that should be similar slow at the RPi

• A good, fast SD card is certainly a key point in getting good performance on RPi (and all other SBCs that use SD as storage). Random write speed is also important, especially if you use PVR which regularly updates the EPG database.

Personally I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB micro SD cards and I'm quite satisfied with overall performance on RPi.

Another point is to stay away from "heavy" skins. The stock Estuary skin and eg Confluence are fine but others that use tons of effects, lot of huge textures etc won't be fun on RPi - it's GPU isn't exactly high end.

If you already have the RPi I'd also recommend to just invest the ~10 bucks for a good SD card, make sure you have a quality HDMI cable (the official RPi one will be fine for 4kp60) and give it a try,

My recommendation would be to use the latest LE11 nightly build as it contains a couple of important fixes since the latest official LE11 release. Get it from here:

https://test.libreelec.tv/11.0/RPi/RPi4/

so long,

Hias

• I'm running LE11 official release on my RPi4 off a Sandisk USB (USB3.0) with the FTV theme, works flawlessly so far (for my use anyway). The dev says nightly is better so I'd take his word for it.

• Random write speed is also important, especially if you use PVR which regularly updates the EPG database.

After the upgrade to LE10 - 11 I observed, the EPG update at every boot takes anoying seconds while was writen to SD card.

In LE9 was option to disable the caching of EPG data, removed in the next versions. ;(

As I don't need any persistent EPG database (and to take care of my SD card life), I changed the path of the EPG database file to /tmp/ (advancedsettings.xml). Now the EPG is loading almost instantly (writing to RAM is always faster than any SD card)... ;)

• Adding the videos to the library scrapes all the information's one time and stores at at kodi, so it just opens the remembered link and thats it.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

so you end up with something like that

kodi-recently-added_.jpg

i always select "none" on my direct download folder because if has TV Shows and Movies. I just tried it when i select none you dont get the library question.

Before watching it moving it to separate Movie or TV Show folder is not what i want to do. I move them from the download folder to separate folder when i have watch it and want to keep it.

You would recommend a SD card ? (There is none in there atm) and not an USB stick? There is a really small one. The SanDisk ultra fit.

So i could go both ways. I found the bill (26th of May 2021, never used...) it is a Pi 4B with 4GB, coolribs installed on it and a transparant case.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB micro SD only a few euro's more gives me dubble the reading speed...

Edited 3 times, last by Operations8: Merged a post created by Operations8 into this post. (June 18, 2023 at 10:52 PM).