ODroid C2 and HEVC with LE 11.0.1

• I'm aware of the issues that's currently plaguing the ODroid C2 but i'm much appreciative of the Support LibreElec and the developers still developing for this board. I know it is a hassle which is why CoreElec just dropped it completely.

"Just spend 60-120 for a New SBC!" I don't have that luxury as i'm on a fixed income, disabled and eating comes first. :)

I love my Odroid C2 and I was using CE 9.2.8 up until a few days ago because I was having some glitchy errors and started noticing the logs not able to hit the update server, couldn't add any addons and essentially, the 9.2.8 CE is pretty much dead so I check LE and lo and behold, there is a Nexus version for my lovely ODroid C2. Had initial problems with my Archer T2u Wifi USB adaptor, but I was able to rectify that by wgetting the kernel drivers from the firmware on kernel.org and dropping them in /storage/.config/firmware/mediatek, rebooting and my adapter showed up finally. :)

All is well until I play any HEVC title.

Here is a log

I'm only posting this hoping to help with the HEVC decoding if anyone is working on it, not looking for top tier support, i'll try to work around this. I may have to reencode my stuff back to h264 if this becomes too much of a problem and thanks for listening!

• There's some kind of buffer exhaustion issue and when you start flipping between codecs it ends up in a bad state. The same video that fails will play fine after a reboot. The drivers are unfinished work and haven't really been touched since 2020 so don't expect any changes anytime soon. There is allegedly someone now working on them again; but it's been several months since it was claimed and i'll believe it when I see actual code from the effort. The H264 codec does behave better, but occasional reboots are probably easier to live with than re-encoding a movie collection.

• NB: If you flag what firmware is requiredfor the USB WiFi stick it can probably be picked into an image (for long-term support).

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/mediatek/mt7610e.bin?h=20230310

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/mediatek/mt7610u.bin?h=20230310

was the firmware I used, I don't know how popular this USB Wifi dongle is, but that's what solved my issue.

On the buffer exhaustion missive, I can also see in the logs where ffmpeg is having an issue with this.