loss of UDP protocol support in MOUNT post Leia?

• Hi. I've been running a number of different rPI hardware versions (v1s, v2s, and v3s) for years to stream movies across the various TVs in my home.

Way in the past in order to get some of my BluRay rips (mkv containers) running smoothly I'd been advised to add this line to autostart.sh (I have my movie library on my desktop Windows 10 PC which is running Hanewin NFS Server):

Code
    mount -t nfs 10.0.0.2:/Movies /media/Movies -o nfsvers=3,rw,intr,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nolock,async,proto=udp

(Without all of the extra paramenters when I tried to watch BluRay rips the CPU pegged to 100% and the playback was extremely choppy (DVD rips worked fine)).

Everything worked fine for years through (and including) using Leia. Recently I went and upgraded one of my v1 hardware Pis to 11.0.1 (Nexus)... and I find that my mounts don't work (i.e. my Windows drives don't show up as Sources at all) unless I strip off "proto=udp" from the mount command.

Is it expected that the "proto=udp" option should no longer work?

Is there any altertnative I should try?

(Yeah, rPi v1 is very old but with prices as they are nowadays I can't buy a more recent h/w version).

• NFS over UDP is disabled in LE (like in most other distributions as well), so just use TCP instead.

See the kernel config for background info why UDP isn't supported anymore:

linux/Kconfig at master · torvalds/linux
    Linux kernel source tree. Contribute to torvalds/linux development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Code
       default y
       help
         Choose Y here to disable the use of NFS over UDP. NFS over UDP
         on modern networks (1Gb+) can lead to data corruption caused by
         fragmentation during high loads.

so long,

Hias

• Thanks Hias. I assume TCP is the default if I don't specify a parameter, correct?

I've tried not specifying anything, and while DVD rips work fine I get the ~ 100% CPU utilization + jittered playback on my BluRay rips. Is there any option to address that CPU utilization so that I can get BluRay rips to play back OK?

• 100% CPU utilization + jittered playback on my BluRay rips.

Hi, I suppose your hardware is working in software-decoding mode for that videos and don't have enough power for that.

You should check the media (video) codec info, maybe the recent version of LE don't have HW decoding support for it.