LE 11.0.1, Pi 4 4GB HDMI to 2021 Sony TV

• MKV, MP4 and AVI video files that I've tested produce low volume such that I have to set Sony to 100% volume. Watching TV I normally have volume about 25 and about the same when watching content from a Mac mini also connected to the same Sony TV.

I don't have much experience with LE or KODI yet.

Any suggestions?

• Is the audio going over hdmi directly connected to (no AVR) TV?

Is kodi set to 100% volume (it should be - just use TV remote to adjust from there).

Yes... HDMI is direct to TV.

The only volume setting I have found in my KODI install seems to only control the volume of GUI sounds.

• It will affect the video audio too if you are not using passthrough.

If you have this issue with passthrough audio, then there is nothing kodi can do -

the audio is decoded and output by the TV/AVR and kodi has no influence on how it sounds.

• The only volume setting I have found in my KODI install seems to only control the volume of GUI sounds.

The volume setting is the one associated with the device you are running Kodi on. eg I run Kodi on an RPi3 and have a wifi keyboard attached. That's what I use to set the volume level for the RPi to 100%.

As popcornmix said set that to 100% and use the TV remote for other adjustments

• It will affect the video audio too if you are not using passthrough.

If you have this issue with passthrough audio, then there is nothing kodi can do -

the audio is decoded and output by the TV/AVR and kodi has no influence on how it sounds.

I just enabled passthrough but nothing changed. The GUI volume has always been set at 100%

• I just enabled passthrough but nothing changed. The GUI volume has always been set at 100%

If passthrough is active and the correct output and currently used encoding are enabled, it doesn't matter what volume is set under Kodi, because then the incoming bitstream is passed directly to the output without processing.

Edit: Okay, wait a second...

^ You didn't set this to 100%, did you? Because this is only the volume of the system sounds, not the master volume.

You can adjust the master volume of Kodi using the +/- buttons on the number pad.

Of course, with passthrough, this will have no effect, unless you only send basic PCM audio.