Request for Composite Out Support for CRT TV Users (Raspberry Pi4)

• I hope this request finds you in high spirits. As a long-time user and supporter of LibreELEC, I have always admired your commitment to providing an accessible and open-source media center solution. Your dedication to serving the community has played a significant role in empowering individuals across the globe to enjoy their media content in a user-friendly manner.

With that in mind, I would like to draw your attention to an important but often overlooked aspect of media consumption – the continued use of CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) televisions. Although it might seem that flat-screen televisions have completely taken over, a considerable number of users still rely on CRT TVs. This is especially true in developing countries where access to newer technology is limited or economically unfeasible for many people.

To cater to this audience, I humbly implore the LibreELEC team to consider adding composite out support to your software, specifically for CRT TV users. By doing so, you would be reaching out to a niche but significant portion of the global community, ensuring that they too can benefit from the remarkable features that LibreELEC offers.

The inclusion of composite out support would not only enhance the user experience for CRT TV users, but it would also showcase LibreELEC's commitment to inclusivity and adaptability. This feature would allow users with older televisions to access and enjoy their media content with ease, bridging the technological gap for those unable to afford newer devices.

In conclusion, I sincerely hope that you will take this request into consideration and work towards implementing composite out support for CRT TV users. By doing so, you will further solidify LibreELEC's position as a versatile and accessible media center solution for users across the globe, regardless of their technological constraints.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I eagerly await your response and hope that you will choose to support this initiative.

• Go to Best Answer
  • This is already supported and if you do a clean installation of LE11 config.txt will contain the instructions how to enable it

C
    ###############################################################################
    # Use distroconfig-composite.txt instead of distroconfig.txt to enable
    # composite video output.
    # The composite video mode needs to be configured in cmdline.txt:
    # For PAL add: video=Composite-1:720x576@50ie
    # For NTSC add: video=Composite-1:720x480@60ie
    ################################################################################
    include distroconfig.txt
    #include distroconfig-composite.txt

so long,

Hias

• Hi HiassofT,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is only partially working. The interface gets cutoff on the left and right side.

For 4:3 it should be 640x480 and not 720x480

Please review the image I included with my response. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you

• Settings->System->Display->Video Calibration.

And, no, 640x480 is not correct - 720x480 is the correct resolution for NTSC. This is the same as on DVDs and includes overscan (like on DVDs).

so long,

Hias

• This is already supported and if you do a clean installation of LE11 config.txt will contain the instructions how to enable it

C
    ###############################################################################
    # Use distroconfig-composite.txt instead of distroconfig.txt to enable
    # composite video output.
    # The composite video mode needs to be configured in cmdline.txt:
    # For PAL add: video=Composite-1:720x576@50ie
    # For NTSC add: video=Composite-1:720x480@60ie
    ################################################################################
    include distroconfig.txt
    #include distroconfig-composite.txt

so long,

Hias

Hiassoft,

I highly suggest adding the following changes:

1. It should be noted in the instructions that adding video=Composite-1:720x480@60ie comes after "quiet" in the same line. (

cmdline.txt)

2. Calibration instructions should be included in the config.txt as an additional step to take after rebooting.

3. Instructions says to "Use distroconfig-composite.txt instead of distroconfig.txt to enable" but inside of both distro-composite and distroconfig.txt it is noted not to edit the file which makes the process confusing. I didn't edit neither but I did remove the hash from the line #include distroconfig-composite.txt found in config.txt (I hope that's what I was supposed to do)

I've spent a months trying to figure this out. Not all of us are geniuses and not everything seems obvious for everyone. I hope my suggestions are implemented in some way. Thank you for your work.

Edited 3 times, last by thericeking (April 14, 2023 at 8:42 PM).