Tailscale updating

• Hi, i was wondering if anyone has some suggestion on how to update Tailscale remotely? I followed this guideon reddit for setting up Tailscale starting with the autostart.sh (x86-64)

all working splendid, but as i think more people use tailscale, maybe you guys have some tips or tricks? especially for updating.

thank you

• I always use 'containrrr/watchtower' for years to update all my installed docker images from SSH. This updater container is configured to always be stopped except when it is started, always only once, from portainer. It works very well. The SSH installation command is:

docker run -d \

--name watchtower-updater \

-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \

containrrr/watchtower --run-once

I forgot to say that I'm talking about docker tailscale/tailscale service update and any other docker image, and not about an kodi addon.

Edited once, last by elonesna (March 23, 2023 at 7:21 AM).

• I'm no expert, I don't like tailscale too much but it has the advantage that it works on all LibreELEC versions that I know of and I can't say the same about its main ZeroTier alternative, it also works on all networks, even with CG-NAT . Another thing I don't like about tailscale is that it generates a lot of autoconfiguration network traffic.

What I really like about tailscale is the ease of setting up a VPN server to share with our friends and family who should never be able to access our internal network beyond the server. My family enjoys almost unlimited cloud storage and VPN for zero euros on a LibreELEC server thanks to tailscale.

Tailscale naturally also makes it easy to create our VPN virtual private network where each device can be in a different geographic location. The free version only allows a single subnet virtual router.

The SSH command I use to install tailscale is:

docker run -d \

--name=41641-tailscaled \

-v /storage/.config/dockers/tailscale/var/lib:/var/lib \

-v /dev/net/tun:/dev/net/tun \

--network=host \

--privileged \

--restart unless-stopped \

tailscale/tailscale \

tailscaled

#

# SERVER CONFIG:

# docker exec 41641-tailscaled \

# tailscale up \

# --accept-routes \

# --accept-dns=false \

# --advertise-exit-node \

# --advertise-routes=192.168.x.0/24 \

# --snat-subnet-routes=false

#

# CLIENT CONFIG:

# docker exec 41641-tailscaled \

# tailscale up

#

Edited 2 times, last by elonesna (March 23, 2023 at 3:13 PM).

• Hm, that code has all these backslashes that doesnt run well in the terminal. i ran this:

Code
    docker run -d --name=41641-tailscaled -v /storage/.config/dockers/tailscale/var/lib:/var/lib -v /dev/net/tun:/dev/net/tun --network=host --privileged --restart unless-stopped tailscale/tailscale tailscaled # # SERVER CONFIG: # docker exec 41641-tailscaled # tailscale up # --accept-routes # --accept-dns=false # --advertise-exit-node # --advertise-routes=192.168.x.0/24 \# --snat-subnet-routes=false# # CLIENT CONFIG:# docker exec 41641-tailscaled# tailscale up#

i also installed the portainer addon. I do see 41641-tailscaled up and running. but i have a feeling i noobed this up from there on. not use how to check ill try later today.

• Aaa. oke sry for the spam, that is the most unfriendly formatting. So i guess its 3 ssh commands to run:

1:

Code
    docker run -d --name=41641-tailscaled -v /storage/.config/dockers/tailscale/var/lib:/var/lib -v /dev/net/tun:/dev/net/tun --network=host --privileged --restart unless-stopped tailscale/tailscale tailscaled

2:

Code
    docker exec 41641-tailscaled tailscale up --accept-routes --accept-dns=false --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 --snat-subnet-routes=false

3:

Code
    docker exec 41641-tailscaled tailscale up

Did i get that right?