LE wont boot on acer ES11-1

• I have an old acer ES1-132-COVW and want to convert it into an LE-device. It only has an internal flashstorage (emmc). I have created a x68 USB stick with the LE-Installer for Windows.

It boots without any problem from that stick. But after installing it to the EMMC it says "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot failed". In the boot order i can see the EMMC-Card. Theres no entry for LE.

I think LE its not creating a bootentry there. Ubuntu was the OS before LE and there was an "Linux"-entry in the boot order in the BIOS.

I have something like "GPT Partition Recovery:" and "Clear GPT Partition" in my InsydeH20-BIOS, but have no clue what i can do there. I already cleared and "saved" this GPT Partition but no effect.

Secure-boot is off.

• The LE installer installs syslinux as the bootloader and creates two EXT4 partitions in a GPT scheme (1= 512MB and 2 = remaining space). Once in a while we see BIOS that wants to see an MBR scheme with a FAT first partition, or that doesn't like syslinux but works fine with grub (which is what Ubuntu uses) and I'd make an educated guess it's the latter scenario. So boot into Ubuntu on a LiveUSB stick, create the partitions on the emmc storage, install grub and create the required boot/menu entry, and copy the SYSTEM/KERNEL files over to the first partition. That's all our installer does. NB: There are some grub files on our installer USB to crib the menu entry from, as we use grub for systems that need to have a 32-bit boot environment. It seems yours is 64-bit though, and we use syslinux for that.

• I've got it working now...

The manufacter hardcoded EFI paths and Labels on this machine....

I had to set it up like this:

Code
    \EFI\Linux\BOOTX64.efi (Linux)

See full list:

BIOS not seeing Ubuntu installed on Acer Aspire ES1-132. Can boot via grub cli
    (Lots of info in the title so that other people with the same problem may find it.) I bought an Acer Aspire ES1-132, knowing that installing Linux might be a…
    askubuntu.com

Howto:
    1. Install LibreELEC with installer.

2. Boot LiveCD (Ubuntu|gparted (smaller))

3. Open Terminal and do fdisk

Code
    fdisk -l

4. Look where EFI partition is. In most case its mmcblk0p1. (On this machines)

5. Mount partition

Code
    sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt

6. cd into it

Code
    cd /mnt/EFI

7. Create Linux folder there: mkdir Linux and go into the folder: cd Linux

8. Copy files (look where your EFI files are)

Code
    sudo cp -r /mnt/EFI/Boot/* .

9. For "Linux"-Option you have to name the bootfile like this "BOOTX64.efi"

10. Reboot and be happy..