Generic x86_64 Intel 4650U Graphics issues

• Hi,

I'm using an HTPC with an i7 4650U, and get some weird hashing/banding pattern once the system has booted. I see the same issue with the 10 stable build (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.4.img.gz) and both 11 beta builds (LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-10.95.1.img.gz and LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.95.1.img.gz).

In order to debug, I tried a clean install of Ubuntu 22.04 and saw the same issue despite drivers being listed correctly (i915) through lspci. After reading the intel documentation at https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/installation-g…-jammy-arc.html I followed the instructions. Once all the required software was installed (but NOT the DKMS modules), I still saw the same issue. After installing the DKMS modules however, the issue was resolved.

Thinking then that I had a solution, I returned to the LibreELEC 10 stable build and used the docker addon via ssh to build the firmware files for the running kernel (which completely successfully) using the instructions here: https://github.com/intel/media-de…el-gpu-dkms.rst

I then copied the generated firmware files to the /storage/.config/firmware directory and rebooted, expecting that the appropriate firmware would now be used and my graphics would be functional again - unfortunately, this was not the case.

So, my question is: what am I missing here? I don't mind getting my hands dirty and doing a custom build if required, but it feels like there's a way to do this that I'm just not getting.

Apologies if this is an obvious question - I've tried reading the libreELEC docs to find a solution, but perhaps due to my inexperience with this type of system I can't find anything helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• I have a mini PC i5-5257U, which I bought more than two years ago at the price of an arm device, and luckily I have no problems decoding h264 and h265 up to a resolution of 1080 lines, and LibreELEC works very well as a server of any resolution doing the hard work, my players are all cheap little arm devices that keep my old tvs alive.

My recommendation is that you install an ubuntu server without a graphical environment, fill it with docker services such as multimedia server, home cloud, television server, backup services, ... and use simple and cheap arm devices as 4K players.