Minix Neo-U1 rebooting on USB install

• Hi,

I'm trying to setup my Minix Neo U1 with Libreelec.. but am not succeeding.

Unfortunately I'm already stuck a booting from the USB/SD-card. To my frustration the only threads I are of people with wifi/remote issues :)

Booting sequence: Unplug power -> Plug in USB -> plug in power -> press power button 6+ seconds.

The first MiniX logo appears and after a while it starts rebooting in loop.

Using LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.95.1-box.img.gz, but tried others as well with the same result.

even updated uEnv.ini to point to meson-gxbb-minix-neo-u1.dtb specifically.

Any help or trick is welcome

Thanks in advance

• The editing uEnv.ini is not optional, and do not rename files to dtb.img like for legacy kernels. Use only the neo-u1 device-tree as others will likely not work. Use only the 'box' image as others are designed for emmc booting a specific board and will 100% not work with Android u-boot. Finally.. unplug power, connect the USB to the OTG port, press and hold the recovery button, then power on the box, and release the recovery button after some seconds. I've never seen a Neo-U1 myself, but from previous testing notes (which resulted in the current device-tree file) the recovery button is on the underside of the box (could be wrong though). If boxes have a power button, it's normally only a power button.

• The editing uEnv.ini is not optional, and do not rename files to dtb.img like for legacy kernels. Use only the neo-u1 device-tree as others will likely not work. Use only the 'box' image as others are designed for emmc booting a specific board and will 100% not work with Android u-boot. Finally.. unplug power, connect the USB to the OTG port, press and hold the recovery button, then power on the box, and release the recovery button after some seconds. I've never seen a Neo-U1 myself, but from previous testing notes (which resulted in the current device-tree file) the recovery button is on the underside of the box (could be wrong though). If boxes have a power button, it's normally only a power button.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought I was going crazy (apparently only blind).

I was using the regular USB ports and the SD-Card slot. The OTG port is micro-USB, so ordered a convertor to see if this works.

Thanks for now.

Edited once, last by Verschijning (February 21, 2023 at 9:41 AM).

• It should work in any USB port really, although I find OTG ports are more likely to be powered up properly in vendor u-boot. The SD card slot should also work fine (checked before USB normally). The main issue from your description was pressing buttons after power-on; it needs to be pressed and held before power is applied, then released.

• It should work in any USB port really, although I find OTG ports are more likely to be powered up properly in vendor u-boot. The SD card slot should also work fine (checked before USB normally). The main issue from your description was pressing buttons after power-on; it needs to be pressed and held before power is applied, then released.

So.... unfortunately this is not the case with mine...

I've tried:

- Button hold -> power = Does not power up

- Button hold -> power -> release = long thinking and Android

- Power -> button hold = MiniX first logo loop

- power -> button hold for 6-ish seconds = long thinking Android

Could it be a firmware thing?

I am able to boot into a Android recovery, so at least the hardware is working.