LibreElec on iMac 2008

• So after installing latest stable build on my Mac Mini 2012, I was feeling so cocky, I installed on my iMac 2008 (because I simply cannot throw it away!!!)

I was feeling so happy, when it installed. However, it will not boot. Gives me folder with flashing question mark. ;(

Has anyone had any luck with an old iMac and can suggest anything else to try?

• The Apple EFI firmware on older models is woeful in places and finnicky about bootloaders; and what works from USB isn't necessarily what will work from SATA. I'd experiment with installing Ubuntu to the HDD. If that works (and boots from the HDD) then you can boot from the LiveUSB .. erase and partition the drive for LE (512MB for boot=/dev/device and the remainder for disk=/dev/device) then copy the KERNEL and SYSTEM files to the boot partition, install Grub to the drive and setup the bootloader config file.

• chewitt, sorry couple of questions

First, I get what you saying about installing Ubuntu first and making sure it boots.

Next, when you say boot from LiveUSB and partition drive for LE - I only see option 1) Install LibreElect. It does not provide any way to specifically erase and partition like you mentioned.

The rest of it about copying KERNEL, SYSTEM and installing Grub I can try understand later, but this very minute, besides the above question also need to ask if at the end of the day would I need to keep machine dual booting in Ubuntu and LibreElec or simply LibreElec (assuming it ends up working)?

• Boot from an Ubuntu LiveUSB .. It has a GUI and all the tools you need to partition the drive (Gparted) and install Grub. The idea is to use that to set-up the iMac to run LE (only).