Looking for DTB of Amlogic S905X+RTL8189ETV

• Can't make the wifi work on this box. DTBs from other S905Xes work. I am also very curious to install it to internal flash

ABOX A1 Plus
    S905X 2/8GB RTL8189ETV

on motherboard: HKW_S905X_01 V1.0 DATE:160726
    RAM: 4x Memolink ml5tq4g16cfr
    Flash: Samsung klm8g1wepd-8031

booting from USB/TF(SD) via boot2kodi app in Androit (root enabled)

• Can't make the wifi work on this box. DTBs from other S905Xes work. I am also very curious to install it to internal flash

I've never managed to get the RTL8189ETV to probe correctly but it's been a while since one came along. Start with expaining which dtb you are using to boot the device (which dtb has best overal fit for board features). NB: LE does not support installing to internal emmc on TV box devices; only SBC boards with dedicated images and upstream u-boot support. If you attempt using old scripts and forum posts I guarantee that it goes wrong and I guarantee zero sympathy and support for unbricking things.

• I've never managed to get the RTL8189ETV to probe correctly but it's been a while since one came along. Start with expaining which dtb you are using to boot the device (which dtb has best overal fit for board features). NB:

All of these boot up, show UI. I haven't checked Ethernet though (should I?).

meson-gxl-s905x-libretech-cc.dtb

meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb

meson-gxl-s905x-nexbox-a95x.dtb

meson-gxl-s905x-vero4k.dtb

I have seen you being so kind to one of the forum members and making meson-sm1-x96-air-gbit.dtb

I am willing to be the guinea pig and brick the board if needed. There is something that looks like serial port on the board and I might have connected it to the host once. I can give you access to computer that would have access to the box via ethernet and UART if needed.

• All S905X boards use the same Ethernet configuration so that should simply work in all S905X device-trees. Most devices are derivatives of the P212 reference design with few changes so all the core perhiperals will the same. The only major changes are buttons/LEDs .. and sometimes the SDIO WiFi/BT module.

There is no support in the upstream kernel for the RTL8189ETV chip, and I (and rest of the team) have no interest in adding more downstream Realtek drivers (https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux) to the distro image - they're low quality and a pain to maintain. You could attempt a custom build with that driver included. The WiFi part of the SDIO module should probe; SDIO is a bus so connected devices are auto-discovered and wifi@1 reference in device-tree for broadcom chips will also work for Realtek. The BT part of the module will need things to be described correctly in device-tree.

• If you want to create overlays you'll need to compile them (to use them); so in the context of the LE build-system you might as well just patch the device-tree that you want to use via a normal kernel patch. IMHO that's easier and doesn't need support for overlays.