Choppy playback from external drive

• Hi all,
    My first post. I've used a pi3 as my home media player since it was first released. I was using osmc before. Decided I was going to try openelec then came across libreelec. So all good. My external USB 1TB SSD started acting up. I couldn't copy files into folders like I normally would remotely from my ubuntu lappy. I decided it must be time to reformat the drive and maybe changing the pi OS created some issue. Formatted the drive and copied everything back and all seemed to function fine from my laptop. Now any playing of any of my video files on that external drive is pretty unstable. Stuttering and out of sync audio and video freezes. This is now the case with any OS I use as I tried osmc again and it acted exactly the same with the same files. It stuttered and locked up at the exact same points on the various files I tried. I tried reseatting all the plugs and connections, but nothing has helped. Does this seem like a hardware failure?

• Hardware failure of the external drive would be pretty coincedental after the format.
    Which disk format is the external drive in now? For Linux, EXT4 is the preferred format.
    Choppy playback, which filestypes/codecs are involved? High bitrate as well?

Get us a kodi.log file as per details here ( HOW TO:Provide Logfile - LibreELEC ), so we can see what's going on.

• Looks like my files are corrupted. These are downloaded files, but I own DRM files that I cannot use as I choose not to use commercial playing solutions anymore.