flakey Networking (SAMBA)

• Strange problem WIth LE on Chromebox with SAMBA shares

I have a SAMBA 1.0 share that comes from an old NAS. I throw files on this old NAS for later playback.

All tests were done with the same 1.61GB file at the same location on the NAS

I have two LE x86-64 systems with similar hardware and getting different results on the two of them.

LE1 Mission One minimalistic Celeron 4GB RAM

LE1 works Perfectly. I can copy or playback large files over wired or wireless connections

LE2 Asus Chromebox CN60 (MrChromebox) 4GB RAM

LE2 is the problematic unit it seems when I try to copy or playback files it often stalls out and displays an error about not able to connect to SAMBA share in log.

LE2 has been reformatted with all addons copied from (working) LE1 using backup/restore to return to exactly the same problem.

LE2 hardware was tested with my USB thumb drive install of Windows and not having issues copying from the same SAMBA share. I also tested a Live Ubuntu CD

Notes when this occurs:

• Its seems ALL network connectivity is lost, as I can no longer ping LE2 and if I set up LE2 to ping my computer those pings also stop when the stream stalls or stops. It does seem that ALL network activity is then lost
    • Libreelec control panel add-on becomes unavailable (will not load)
    • The same is confirmed on wired Ethernet, Wireless 2.4Ghz and Wireless 5Ghz (which seems to rule out NIC issues)
    • Log entry about SAMBA share timeout

The SAMBA share on the NAS is stable from Windows, Mac, Linux and the LE1 install

It almost seems like something in the chipset is not supported properly in LE V10 or something is overheating??

Now if you are paying attention I tracked down a similar, but unrelated issue with the Netflix addon, and that seems to have been due to no IPV6. Clearly the logs in this case show a completely different error as the SAMBA share times out. The Netflix issue may have looked similar but was showing audio/video sync issues before it would stop.