RPi4 2GB - waiting for network to come online when booting with HDMI disconnected

• Hi. For as long as I have this Rpi4 2GB, I'm struggling with this issue. Whenever the Pi reboots (kodi crashes from time to time, most probably because of TVHeadend), and the receiver it's connected to is NOT powered on, it hangs during boot on 'waiting on Network to come online'. However, network is already functional at that point. I use UTP network (WiFi disabled) with a static IPv4 address. And all is up and running. IP is there, SSH is running, even the samba share I mount using a system.d mount script is already there. Kodi is running, but it's like it forgot to switch to the GUI. When I use my remote, I actually can hear the menu 'click' sound, although it's extremely distorted, like 1/10th of a second of loud white noise. I have 'wait for network before kodi starts' enabled with 10 seconds, but that doesn't help. The network isn't the actual issue here I think as that's up just fine. I think it's just Kodi not switching from console-output to graphics output or something.

Before Pi4 I used a Odroid-C2, which never had this issue. I've read through the logs, and in dmesg I see several lines like this:

[ 13.217600] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.0.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -19

If the receiver IS on, I see the same message, but not as often, only twice or so.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried forcing a resolution in cmdline.txt, which worked on its own (ie. if I set it to 720p for example it booted in that) but that only affects booting I think before Kodi kicks in. When it hangs at that message and I kill kodi.bin, Kodi restarts automatically, and then it works just fine.

I've narrowed down a bit; when I enable 'HDMI control' in my old Denon AVR3808 receiver, it works. However, then it doesn't switch off the HDMI circuits drawing a whopping 89.5 watts when powered off. Not feasible. Now I took the receiver out. And I think everyone can reproduce this; When the Pi is booted WITHOUT the HDMI cable connected, the same issue occurs. When it's booted and then I plug it directly in the TV (bypassing receiver completely) the issue is the same, it shows the 'waiting on network' message, which is in fact Kodi already running with network and all up and running. my config.txt only has hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1 in it and gpu_mem=76. Rest is commented out.

In other words, can we force kodi in a specific resolution or output or something when it wasn't connected during boot?

[edit]

hdmi_force_hotplug=1 in config.txt doesn't help, hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080 doesn't work either.

I realised as I'm using LE 10.0.2 config.txt settings for HDMI don't work anymore. However, setting video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@50 in cmdline.txt doesn't help a bit either.