audio equalizer & dynamic compression

• I'm running Libreelec on a raspberry pi 2, with a USB DAC going to the stereo amplifier. The DAC and amplifier are excellent, but they're no full blown receiver with extra features.
    I'd like to change the equalization for music and enable dynamic compression for movies. Movies often have very loud effects, which doesn't work well where we live.
    I've been looking at the addons, the forum, google searches, ... The Kodi Audi Equalizer and other addons don't seem to be compatible. Audio DSP seems to have been removed from Kodi 5 years ago.
    I can't install packages myself on Libreelec. I believe libreelec uses ALSA in general, and Pulseaudio for bluetooth, but I can't install or access either of their equalizers? That means theres really zero access to software features like equalization and dynamic compression?

• Forget about software DSP. Use a HiFiBerry DAC with DSP processor. Something like this.

Ah, that's worth looking into. It's reasonably priced as well. I'll compare it to my current DAC, and try to figure out how I configure the DSP and how I can remotely change the volume or change equalizer profile.