samba: fix dcerpc and srvsvc browsing #6860

• Sorry to be a pain but does this mean that samba is now working fully and correctly? I read the github entry and cannot understand it (no surprise there) and tried googling to understand dcerpc and srvsvc - good way to waste time ^^

• Sorry to be a pain but does this mean that samba is now working fully and correctly? I read the github entry and cannot understand it (no surprise there) and tried googling to understand dcerpc and srvsvc - good way to waste time ^^

Yep \\server now allows browsing.

• heitbaum

Thanks for that.

Before I install the latest nightly I do have one more question. My new 6TB powered Seagate Hub (2 USB ports) was corrupted 3 time whilst hooked onto the RPi4 - last time under LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20220820-b2dced8. The same HDD is happy on my old RPi3 setup - absolutely no problems. The only thing I know would be writing to the HDD is samba.

Long preamble - my question is what are the chances that it was the incomplete implementation of samba that caused the corruption? I do know that I forgot on several occasions to access via \\server\folder and received the can't find it message.

• I wouldn’t think samba would be part of the issue. As the fopen/fwrite/fclose function calls are handled by the kernel filesystem drivers. Samba is a userland application (that happens to offer its services across th3 network.)

The actual issue with samba 4.16.x and the dcerpc was that the samba team were seperating the non file RPC calls into a helper program.

• heitbaum

Thanks. I guess all I can do is try things again and hope something works differently this time.

One thing I did notice is that my synchronisation program (written in Delphi and using standard windows API calls (ShFileOperation) was running at very slow speeds on copying a file from the 6TB HDD to backup eg over 2 minutes for a .nfo file. With the RPi3 the same operation takes a few seconds.