Odroid-C2 discussion

• Sample clips so we can repeat the issue (or prove it's something local to your device) are useful. Pictures of artefacts aren't useful. I suspect it's something unusual about the media because stats show a stable and increasing number of C2 boards running the image and while I've deliberately tried to set people's expectations low since there are missing things and it's not perfect, I'm surprised (and pleased) at the overall lack of user issues being reported.

• Hi,

Last week I finally updated from Leia to Nexus (LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0.0-odroid-c2.img). When DRM Prime is enabled I can't skip the video for more than 10sec without the picture freezing. Sometimes pressing the ESC button brings back the menu but it also happens that I have to reboot. When DRM prime is disabled skipping is no problem but the video is kinda choppy - not really smooth.

Does anybody else has the same problem ?

• When DRM Prime is enabled I can't skip the video for more than 10sec without the picture freezing. Sometimes pressing the ESC button brings back the menu but it also happens that I have to reboot. When DRM prime is disabled skipping is no problem but the video is kinda choppy - not really smooth.

I assume the codec used is HEVC and thus the clearly written statements about the imperfect state of HEVC seeking that are in release notes are accurate. If the codec is H264 seeking works well (at least in my own testing). One of the upstream kernel static analysis tools recently flagged a memory leak in the HEVC codec and a fix for this will be in LE 11.0.1. That might help prevent resource starvation in some scenarios (stop/escape back to the GUI is more likely to work) but HEVC seeking itself needs development effort, and there are currently no volunteers for the task so you shouldn't expect progress anytime soon. If you disable DRMPRIME content is software decoded, but most 1080p HEVC is a little beyond the CPU capabilities of an S905 board. The Pi Foundation devs are currently working on some changes that might result in a more efficient software decode path that might improve that, but fixing the hardware decoder (needing volunteers) would be preferred.

• Sample clips so we can repeat the issue (or prove it's something local to your device) are useful. Pictures of artefacts aren't useful. I suspect it's something unusual about the media because stats show a stable and increasing number of C2 boards running the image and while I've deliberately tried to set people's expectations low since there are missing things and it's not perfect, I'm surprised (and pleased) at the overall lack of user issues being reported.

Well it seems my artifacts were an artifact. Cannot reproduce them anymore.

I restored the backup I made of Nexus so it is just as I left it last time. But now, no artifacts anywhere, not even the files I tried last time.

I can report that H264 1080p is working correctly for everything I tried. Seeking also works perfectly.

HEVC 1080p also plays correct but seeking in big blocks is 100% non functional. Fast forward works a bit. This makes resume is also non functional.

I did not try 4K media on a 4K source. 4k HEVC was a bit choppy on a 1080p monitor.

I use kodi mainly as a local network video player so I am gonna stick to Leia but i will keep an eye on the future releases/progress.

Nice to see so much is working now for the C2. Thanks!

Maybe chatGPT-4 can solve the HEVC seeking problem ;)

Then again, it might soon rewrite the entire video driver.

• Why does Kodi "Leia" have no problems with HEVC seeking ? What is different to Nexus ?

LE11 uses the upstream Linux kernel that has no code in-common with the LE9 and older vendor kernel. As written in release-notes; AMLGX is not perfect and will not be for all users. I'd love to see improvements to HEVC seek, but I don't write driver code, and there's been a multi-year gap in anyone taking an interest. I'm currently attempting to get the (abandoned but cleaned-up a little) HEVC driver merged upstream in the hope putting the code somewhere public attracts some community contribution.

• Well it seems my artifacts were an artifact. Cannot reproduce them anymore. I restored the backup I made of Nexus so it is just as I left it last time. But now, no artifacts anywhere, not even the files I tried last time.

Maybe chatGPT-4 can solve the HEVC seeking problem ;)

Then again, it might soon rewrite the entire video driver.

I'm confident there are memory useage/buffering issues in the current HEVC codec, and ultimately there are closed-source firmware blobs involved that can layer their own issues too.

ChatGP is quite interesting but linux media drivers are rather complicated. As Douglas Adams fans will appreciate; the challenge is about asking the right question :)

• Hi Everybody,

I am on 11.0.0 . Just saw that LE 11.0.1 has been release but auto update does not seem to work or do I have to wait a bit longer?

Can I manually update by copying the file LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0.1-odroid-c2.img.gz to the update folder or will this be a clean install ?

Have not done this for a while - there used to be .tar files for updates and .gz for a clean install ...

• Go into the LE settings add-on, change to manual update, select 11.0.1, then later (after download/reboot) switch back to auto again. No need to reinstall between minor version bumps.

• Hello, i Just adopted LE11 for my Odroid C2 a few days ago, very satisfied.

I struggle to display 4k. When I switch resolution to 3840x2160p, the screen is only displayed on the upper left 1/4 screen. I couldn't find how to fix it. Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks

• I had the issue without playing, Just the UI. I set GUI resolution limit to 1080 and rebooted and don't have the issue anymore. I have to check now if video plays true 4k

• Ahh, okay. Amlogic chips support multiple video output layers. The OSD (GUI) layer is 1080p max while the video layer can be 4K. The 1080p OSD limit is a silicon limitation but legacy images allow you to set 4K .. which the hardware then ignores and outputs at 1080p, while the user feels smug because they have a 4K TV and their Android box configured for 4K. It's a bit like the S905 being advertised with 2GHz CPU speed; which is 1.5`GHz if you want more than one CPU core active, but the firmware lies and reports 2GHz :)

TL/DR; 1080p is the correct resolution for the GUI (hence it's the default). If you configure 4K the OSD layer is still 1080p and some TVs might stretch it, and others will render it to 1/4 of the screen. NB: We don't support 4K H264 on S905 (it works on S905X and up, but not S905) but that's prob. not an issue as 99.99999% of 4K media is HEVC. There is no HDR to SDR conversion.

• Hi all,

any ideas why odroid-c2 can't boot with 11.x versions? Everything is fine with 9.x with the same hardware setup.

Setup is pretty simple, just clean sbc without any peripherals connected via hdmi to TV

Thanks

log from 9.x version. I can't also neither change the language nor change the skin

http://ix.io/4sKe

Edited 3 times, last by Sahab (April 5, 2023 at 5:21 PM).

• I use sd card flashed with board image, nothing should be done in addition. What could be wrong between keyboard and chair?

No device has been attached to the board.

I used etcher on linux and official tool on windows, checked hash sums for images. The same result.

v.9.0.x boots normally