Can I modify a file under /usr (too modify a Skin)

• One thing I don't like about the Estuary Skin is the fact that it shows "Duration" rather than 'Time Remaining' on the playback bar.. So after every upgrade, I used to copy the Estuary skin.. Modify the Variables.xml file and change:

<value>$INFO[Player.Time]$INFO[Player.Duration, / ]</value>

to

<value>$INFO[Player.Time]$INFO[Player.TimeRemaining(hh:mm:ss), / ]</value>

But I have just upgraded to 10.2, and the Skin files are under /usr (/usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary) and the only thing I can edit now under /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data where there is a settings.xml file which offers little.

Since /usr is read only, is there any way to make this change?

Is there a way to edit files under /usr? Or could I move a copy of the skin to '/storage' and make my change there?

Jon

Edited once, last by Jweaver (July 5, 2022 at 11:55 AM).

• To give a further update, after downloading a few skins and working out where they go, I thought/hoped I had made progress but it still doesn't work.

The name of my skin was to be "Estuary.Jon"

So I basically, copied the contents of /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.estuary to /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.estuary.jon (But this was no more than a settings.xml file)

I then copied the entire skin from /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary to /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.estuary.jon

I now hoped/expected to see a new skin called "Estuary.Jon".. But all I see is Estuary.. So as a final step, I edited /.kodi/addons/http://skin.estuary.jon/addon.xml and changed the first line to:

<addon id="skin.estuary.jon" version="3.0.5" name="Estuary.jon" provider-name="phil65, Ichabod Fletchman>

But I can't see the skin in the list.. I know my setting changes will work.. But before I can make them, I need to a way to get my "modified" version of the Skin to be recognised.

Everything I have done here is based on what I see when a new skin is downloaded/installed.. So I can only assume there is some kind of "database" which tracks these new skins.

• Likely you have to enable the new skin in settings via My Addons.

More simple is just copying the addon (skin in this case), changing it and restarting kodi. The copy has precedence.

• You b e a u t y (why would that word be censored.. Its a compliment here in the UK, but don't know about other countries))?.. I never even thought to try that.. Interestingly, I took another Skin and changed its addon.xml file and altered the name and it changed in Kodi settings.. So I don't know why changing the Estuary skin to "Estuary.jon" didn't work.

But it doesn't matter because its exactly as you said.. I just coped the Estuary skin over to 'storage' and made the change I wanted and its perfect again now.

Incase anyone wants do to this, here are my steps:

#cp -r /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary /storage/.kodi/addons

#vi /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml/Variables.xml

Change:

<value>$INFO[Player.Time]$INFO[Player.Duration, / ]</value>

to

<value>$INFO[Player.Time]$INFO[Player.TimeRemaining(hh:mm:ss), / ]</value>

#reboot

Cheers..

• Very cool but what will happen after version in /usr gets updated? My guess is you'll be stuck with the one you copied over to /storage until you update it manually.