Seeking login/access details

• I have a Rasp Pi 3 B+ running LibreELEC. Although using this for a long time I did not set it up and have only a few notes on what was done. Our usage is mainly streaming content from a Windows PC to the Pi then to a Sony Bravia TV.

I would like to add a new HDD to the system. My notes say folders are mounted to /storage/mnt via ~/.config/autostart.sh > ~/mountshares.sh

And Home(~) folder = \Storage.

Does this make sense? It's not clear to me. I know we connect via Putty and I have a user/pass and can see the KODI: # prompt.

I was hoping to see some files (maybe those named above) but all commands tried just result in -sh ?: not found or Permission denied

If anyone can give me a hand to get familiar with all this, it'd be much appreciated.

• *I* couldn*t get all what you wrote, but

1. declare "notes"

2. if you login via ssh (in your case: putty) and want to see the content of your added disk the command is

ls -l /storage/mnt

(read: ls _blank_ -l _blank_ path)

I guess you need to learn linux or working on command line under linux

this might help:

Linux Command Line Interface Introduction: A Guide to the Linux CLI | Linux Journal

or

Learning the shell - Lesson 2: Navigation

3. AFAIK, you don't need any script to mount the disk

it's done automatically

Edited 2 times, last by GDPR-7 (June 19, 2022 at 6:39 PM).

• Thanks for the info and links. Your command worked and shows 3 names which are our destinations via "File" on the Pi screen.

From memory there was some issue at setup and things were done 'differently". Possibly a script of some kind was needed, but impossible to say for sure.

After reading the links I've been able to change directories and see various files including mountshares.sh and startup.log. I've not found any autostart.sh.

Are these text files. Is there a way to view them ?

Edited once, last by ADKM (June 20, 2022 at 12:35 AM).

• you should read my first link in comment #2

keywords "file" and "cat"

and you'll find the answers to your questions

sorry, learning linux means at first reading

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (June 20, 2022 at 2:35 AM).

• From memory there was some issue at setup and things were done 'differently". Possibly a script of some kind was needed, but impossible to say for sure.

After reading the links I've been able to change directories and see various files including mountshares.sh and startup.log. I've not found any autostart.sh.

Permanent mount of Samba share fails may be of use and especially the link referenced there:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/mount_network_share

Are these text files. Is there a way to view them ?

In Unix/Linux, everything is a file (unless it is a process).

You can view files in a number of ways: cat, less (quit with 'q') or nano (=text editor)

Edited once, last by diederik: everything is a file, not a text file *facepalm* (June 21, 2022 at 2:06 AM).

• I'm getting somewhere - LOL yes I know to read Joe, but very aware I might stuff things up so helps to get a reply rather than trust something I may misinterpret. I don't really want to learn Linux, only enough to understand how the Pi is setup.

I have entered cat mountshares.sh (a file referred to in my brief notes and that shows after entering ls, after login via Putty)

It shows 4 lines of instructions 3 that representing a name/folder on the Pi screen.

sleep 10s

mount -t cifs //sue-pc/Movies -o user=sue ~/mnt/Movies

mount -t cifs //win10-pc/Movies2\ \(L\) -o user=alex ~/mnt/Movies2

mount -t cifs //win10-pc/Television - o user=alex ~mnt/Television

Does that make any sort of sense ? Is there likely to be something else involved?

If i add another line the same - but pointing to another folder, would that appear on the pi ?

From what diederik says nano is an editor, but I don't want to try anything until sure it's correct.

• nano is an editor !

and it has a menu at the bottom.

the key for the sign "^" is the CRTL-Key, so the keystroke for e.g. "^X Exit" is "Crtl-key + x" and so on

as said before:

AFAIK, you usually don't need scripts to mount shares.

all is managed via "systemd-services" or via samba (what should create the correct services for you) these days.

- but I have no experiences with it -

more to read:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/mount_network_share

• Thanks Joe, but not much in that link ties in with what I have, in fact it's very different. I don't want to alter anything, just understand what I've got works.

Is what I have a script they you say you don't need, but obviously my setup does need it.

First question

Is what shows in Msg#7 all that's needed - or is there something else to be aware of ?

What is -t cifs ?

Assuming I can get nano working and experiment adding something, is that likely to break anything?

• First question

Is what shows in Msg#7 all that's needed - or is there something else to be aware of ?

no idea !

What is -t cifs ?

it's a mount option

more to read ;) :

mount(8): mount filesystem - Linux man page

side note:

(nearly) every unix/linux command has a man page, just google with "man <command>"

Assuming I can get nano working and experiment adding something, is that likely to break anything?

you could backup a copy of the file *before* you want to play with it:

man cp

and

man mv

and

man nano

or

nano Command Manual

• Reading the links Joe is way too much. I just wanted a handle on the various terms used in my setup. I don't feel confident to play with all the unfamiliar commands etc, so I'll just leave it as is.