Can dual identical displays do simultaneous playback?

• I have a TV in the main room and another in the bedroom, they are both Samsung AU9000 with the same panel resolutions and refresh, just a smaller screen in the bedroom.

I have an AMD RX550 in my Generic HTPC and I can connect to both TVs, one through HDMI and one through DP with an HDMI adapter.

Both TVs work, but I have to select which display to use in the settings display dropdown and also manually change the sound output to the correct device. That display then works and the other is blank. The setting to "Blank other displays" is turned off.

Am I right in thinking I should be able to get the display cloned to both TVs at the same time, or is that not how it should work? I have tried LE 10.0.2 and both LE11 generic and legacy nightlies, but they seem to behave the same.

The hope was that I can watch the TV in the main room, then just switch the TV off, go upstairs, switch that TV on and continue watching.

Is this possibe with my setup or would I need to buy something like a hdmi splitter?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.