Odd resolution experience with display, possible Bug?

• Problematic system: Mission One Running Librelec 10.0.2 x86-64 on Intel N2807 @1.58 Ghz, Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (BYT)

For Comparison: Modded Asus CN60 Chromebox running Libreelec 10.0.2 x86-64 on Intel 2955 @ 1.4 Ghz, Mesa DRI intel HD Graphics (HSW GT1)

This is only with "Problematic system" above. The "For Comparison" system above does not behave this way on the same display.

I have a very Old 30" Sharp LCD (https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-30HV4…y/dp/B00009NFEQ) display that was originally part of an "HD Ready" TV component system . It came with an analog tuner (https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Lc-30hv4…m/dp/B00IH8FJB2), but did have component, VGA and DVI inputs on that tuner. When that SD tuner component recently died I connected Directly to what I believed was a DVI port by way of an HDMI to DVI adapter (and yes it was responding as a normal DVI connection giving me 1280x768 as the only available 16x9 resolution. There are a couple of 4x3 resolutions available as well but since it is a 16x9 display that is all that interests me).

I had previously connected using the same HDMI to DVI adapter but to the tuner component. When the tuner was connected the TV via tuner claimed to support 1080i and 720P (at 720p these were [email protected] or 1280x720@60), and these were the resolutions offered by Kodi. When connected to the display with no tuner, getting [email protected] seemed odd. Maybe the old tuner just remapped the 1080i or 720p image to [email protected]? Who knows. I was even able to hack analog audio into the proprietary port making use of the incredible sound this unit always had. Downside , almost no adjustment of video or audio other than what Kodi offers but the image looks great, sound is awesome, and both are probably better than they were with tuner component.

While using this set up, particularly on Live TV, I noticed that I was often getting a small black bar on top and bottom of the image. I tried many solutions to fix this and the one I came up with seems odd however works. That is why I call this a possible bug.

I had to go to the display adjustment settings (I went while a video was playing so I could see full frame). and the square you adjust till square, I made it "not square" or 1.067 (tall and thin) ultimately. Doing the math (768/720=1.0666_ ), this is precisely the figure I came up with making the adjustment.

Now I know there are variations on resolutions that are not exactly 1:1 pixel ratios, so it would seem that 1280x768 would be one of those. Perhaps I am mistaken., so I compared to my modded Asus Chromebox running the same Librelec version and no adjustment was necessary to avoid black bars on this unit. The same problem does not exist on the modded chromebox running the same Libreelec version

Who knows if other resolutions are affected as well. The work-around is great and I see no negative side effects but it seems to be a bug with that particular integrated GPU or driver?

Mark

Edited 3 times, last by tekno (May 27, 2022 at 11:28 PM).