RPi4 + LibreELEC 10.0.2 new 100% reliable video playback crash behaviour

• Hello.

I've been using LibreELEC (10.0.2) on my RPi4 for a few weeks now, having been using whatever was the previous official release before that for several months and prior to this new problem happening, it's been working quite well (apart from some slight juddery video playback, most noticeable when watching football or F1 on the TV connected to the Pi, but no judder is apparent when streaming and playing back on a separate device). Anyway, it's recently developed an issue where it crashes and reboots when trying to play back any (DVB) recordings on the pi itself, through the kodi player. However, I know the recordings are fine because they continue to record TV and I now have to watch only on a separate device, via tvheadend's network streaming, which plays everything back without any issues.

I have a USB-C SSD connected to the Pi, onto which all the DVB recordings are stored.

LibreElec appears to boot fine and I can navigate kodi and all the settings on the connected TV just fine. I can see the up-to-date TV listings but usually, as soon as I try to watch either a live TV channel or play back a recorded TV program, it crashes and reboots LibreELEC.

I'm not aware of having made any configuration changes recently that would correspond with this recent issue.

The only addons I have are the tvheadend service and clients (tvheadend42 v10.0.0.125, Tvheadend / 4.2.8-36 ~ LibreELEC Tvh-addon v10.0.0.125 (HTSPv27)).

I've grabbed a bunch of log files and crash logs off the pi and can see the crash logs all report a similar issue and location. E.g. -

Thread 1 (Thread 0xd0511280 (LWP 23323)):

#0 0xf5d53954 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libavfilter.so.7

I've just tried a little experiment to change the video playback setting (which has 'DRM PRIME' enabled and is set to the default render method of 'Direct To Surface') to use 'EGL' instead and was encouraged to see that my recordings were playing back ... but for no more than only a minute before again crashing and rebooting.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I might try to fix (or work around) this issue, or what more information might be useful in identifying the source of the problem to help get at a proper fix?