Raspberry Pi3 - wifi and wired connection - Can't get both working at same time after reboot

• Hello :)

I have maybe a trivial question of network prioritization under linux :

I have my Rpi which is in Wifi (sufficient connection for streaming), and I connected my PC to my Rpi (to have a correct transfer rate between the 2; like 30 mo/s, for transferring files of several GB easily). It works perfectly, except that I have a prioritization conflict between the 2 connections if I restart the Rpi.

Let me explain in detail:

What I did to make my PC/Rpi connection via ethernet "reliable", is to make the 'ethernet' address of the Rpi static (see https://www.ask-sheldon.com/static-ip-on-libreelec/).

And it works perfectly.

The only problem is that if I restart the Rpi, I no longer have access to the Internet.

The only way to solve it is to temporarily disable the wired connection via the libreelec menu. And there, it works = I have internet. And I can reactivate the wired connection right after, which also works.

It seems that when I restart, the 2 connections of the Rpi (wifi for internet, and ethernet for the connection to my PC) are interfering with each other, and that I have to deactivate the ethernet, so that the conflict is resolved.

Looking around, I found a post that I think describes my problem well:

msalerno
    December 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM

But the proposed solution (which is simple and that I manage to implement), does not change anything.

- Is there an alternative command that could work better? (based on systemd, or other tricks)

- Is there anything else I need to check? I thought about the idea of having to fix my ip for wifi on my Rpi, but I don't know if that would change anything (and more importantly, I think it does, since this IP address has been fixed for years)

Any idea ? :)

Thanks !

Arthur

• Thanks for your answer mglae. :)

I tried your solution, but it didn't work which would normal i guess: in the connman_main.conf, it said that enabling the SingleConnectedTechnology will permits to have only one connection. Whereas I wish my solution to be 2 connections at the same time:

- wifi : internet

- ethernet : to connect to my other machine under windows 10.

My setup as described previously is functional (2 connections at the same time internet+windows); my only problem is to keep that when rebooting.

Is there any other solution to my problem (which is minor, I agree)?

Thanks!

• Hi,

I have a similar problem. My RPI3 is connected using cabled Ethernet. A WiFi-connection was also configured, but disabled in the LibreElec settings in the Kodi GUI. The cabled connection is my preference, because the WiFi connection is unstable where the RPI3 is placed.

After upgrading to LibreElec 10, it started with WiFi enabled and Cable disabled. I could change the setting in the GUI, but after reboot WiFi was active again. I have managed to completely disable WiFi in /storage/.config/connman_mail.conf:

Code
    PreferredTechnologies = ethernet
    DefaultAutoConnectTechnologies = ethernet
    SingleConnectedTechnology = true

but the cabled connection still doesn't start when the RPI3 is booted. Kodi waits a while for the network, times out, and starts without network. Then I can easily enable the cabled connection from the GUI. But after the next boot, it disables again.

Thanks in advance

/Rasser