Orange PI 3 EMMC Install

• Go to Best Answer
  • I was also looking for a while until I found the solution, so I just registered in this forum to share my steps:

Since I bought a used OPi3, I had nothing to backup before. So be warned that this is deleting everything on the eMMC and the SD-Card that you use.

If you feel lucky, you can skip the steps 1-8

1. flash Armbian on SD-Card (I used "Armbian_22.08.2_Orangepi3_bullseye_current_5.15.69.img.xz" with balenaEtcher)

2. insert card and boot Orange Pi 3 and wait for resizing + reboot

3. create root password, choose "bash" and abort user account creation

4. enter "armbian-config" to open menu

5. go to System/Install and choose first "Install/Update the bootloader on SD/eMMC

6. after it's finished, go back there and choose this time "Boot from eMMC - system on eMMC" (this will erase your eMMC!!)

7. PowerOff OPi3 and remove SD-Card

8. turn it on, to check if it boots from eMMC

---

9. flash LibreELEC on SD-Card (I used "LibreELEC-H6.arm-10.0.3-orangepi-3.img.gz")

10. insert card and boot Orange Pi 3 and wait for resizing + reboot

11. in the wizard, activate SSH

12. use PuTTY to SSH into your LibreELEC

13. use command "install2emmc" (this will erase your previous Armbian installation and install LibreELEC to eMMC

too long, didn't read: use "install2emmc" via SSH (this script is actually mentioned in the first post of the Nightly Builds subforum ;))

Edited 3 times, last by ArnoNuehm (November 7, 2022 at 8:11 PM).

• I had a problem which lead to a "broken" install in eMMC before and inability to boot a clean LibreELEC from SD-Card.

That's why I had to reformat the eMMC through Armbian.

Also I read somewhere that a u-boot update might be necessary to use the script on Orange Pi 3 and I hoped that the Armbian steps would do that for me.

• U-Boot is overwritten by install2emmc. Anyway, using different U-Boot is not recommended. AFAIK U-Boot from Armbian doesn't support any suspend/resume features.

• If it's overwritten by install2emmc, then I didn't loose anything by doing these steps. In this case they just helped me with my problem and people can really skip them.

Thanks for the clarification. :)