No DTS-HD MA with LibreElec on a Intel NUC

• Hi there,

normally I'm using Kodi on my Windows HTPC, but after upgrading to a new TV and AV-Receiver I also want to test HDR and HD-Audio on that HTPC. HDR is working, but DTS-HD MA is not working. So today I tried LibreElec on that HTPC (booting from a USB-Stick) but the result is the same. DTS-HD MA won't work.

Before my hardware constellation:
    My HTPC is a Intel NUC7i3BNH, which is connected to a Yamaha V4A AV-Receiver, and this is connected to my TV (all with HDMI).

I start a .mkiv file with DTS-HD MA Audio, and the AV doesn't get a signal. But the file is working, as my Bluray Player can play it (and I see DTS-HD MA in the AV Receiver Display). The Bluray Player is also directly connected to the AV.

So maybe the NUC7i3BNH cannot handle DTS-HD MA, but then I'm wondering why DTS-HD HR is working.

Attached a debug-log from my last try to play that file (I tried that file --> https://we.tl/whSFPBN6hT)

Debug-Log

Maybe screenshots from the config are also necessary?
    But I made only basic settings

Settings->Video->Adjust display refresh rate->On start/stop

Settings->System->Display->Resolution->1920x1080p

Settings->System->Display->Refresh rate->60Hz

Settings->System->Audio->Audio output device->GSM LG TV SSCR2 on DisplayPort #0

Settings->System->Audio->Number of channels->7.1

Settings->System->Audio->Output configuration->Best match

Settings->System->Audio->Allow passthrough->Yes

Settings->System->Audio->Passthrough output device->GSM LG TV SSCR2 on DisplayPort #0

Actived all tone formats

For HDR I tried the updated LE11 version, which is working in general. But with that build also DTS-HD MA is not working.
    So in my mind it was better to create the debug log with the latest official build.

Maybe someone has an idea about the behaviour?

Thanks for your help,

DerDominik

• I've got the same Nuc with Libreelec 10.0.1, connected to a Denon AV-Receiver and DTS-HD MA is working fine.

System -> Audio -> Audio output Device is set to "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, DON DENON-AV on Display port #0" and Passthrough Device as well.

Everything connected via HDMI.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for your problem. Maybe your could try switching cables just to make sure it's capable of HDMI 1.3.

• I have an Intel NUC8i3BEK, and it also plays DTS-HD MA just fine.
    One thing I will recommend is that before you power-on the NUC, make sure that your TV and you AVR are both powered on and that the correct inputs are selected. Then power up the NUC.

I hope this helps.

• Hm, strange.

In general the rest of the hardware is ok. Suddenly I took my RPi4 (which works normally as a small server) and installed LibreElec on it.

DTS-HD MA is working without problems.

On my NUC7i3BNH I tried also to change the cable. The HDMI firmware is also up-to-date

DTS-HD MA can work on the hdmi by origin from intel, NUC's hdmi is from DP, so can't play it.

So maybe this is the reason?

Or any other suggestions what could be tried?

Otherwise I've to search for new hardware, which can handle it.

But anyway.
    Thanks to all for your help :)

• Hm, strange.

In general the rest of the hardware is ok. Suddenly I took my RPi4 (which works normally as a small server) and installed LibreElec on it.

DTS-HD MA is working without problems.

On my NUC7i3BNH I tried also to change the cable. The HDMI firmware is also up-to-date

Believe me, I've tried many NUCs, such as nuc7i7bnh, nuc7pjyh, nuc11pahi7, nuc11takc

nuc7i7bnh, nuc11pahi7 hdmi from DP, can't play hd audio by passtrough , nuc7pjyh, nuc11takc hdmi is origin, can play hd audio by passtrough.

• Believe me, I've tried many NUCs, such as nuc7i7bnh, nuc7pjyh, nuc11pahi7, nuc11takc

nuc7i7bnh, nuc11pahi7 hdmi from DP, can't play hd audio by passtrough , nuc7pjyh, nuc11takc hdmi is origin, can play hd audio by passtrough.

My NUC7i3BNH plays HD-Audio to my Denon amp just fine.

• Maybe "sync playback to display" be chosen, the audio isn't real passthrough.

No, that option is not selected. Almost every other audio format is working.
    Also DS-HD HR, what I'm wondering about.
    I don't have detailed information about the difference of -MA and -HR, but both are HD audio formats?
    So my suggestion is, that either both or none are working?

My NUC7i3BNH plays HD-Audio to my Denon amp just fine.

This wonders me. But what is the difference? :/