[UNOFFICIAL][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• Hi punter,

thanks for the logs

Code
    Feb 02 15:29:48.501460 LibreELEC kernel: mmcblk2: mmc2:0001 M8G2FA 7.45 GiB 
    Feb 02 15:29:48.501580 LibreELEC kernel: mmcblk2boot0: mmc2:0001 M8G2FA partition 1 512 KiB
    Feb 02 15:29:48.501699 LibreELEC kernel: mmcblk2boot1: mmc2:0001 M8G2FA partition 2 512 KiB
    Feb 02 15:29:48.501831 LibreELEC kernel: mmcblk2rpmb: mmc2:0001 M8G2FA partition 3 128 KiB, chardev (243:0)

the internal emmc was successfully detected.

So which tool doesn't work, the multitool?!

Anyway, you can try to install the build directly from sd card. Copy the desired Libreelec build somewhere in the storage partition of sdcard and do something like this

Code
    dd if={path_to_image} of=/dev/mmcblk2

and if you want to make a backup first (which I suggest)

Code
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk2 of=sample_backup.img

There is a script to automate everything in my to-do list, but installing Libreelec in internal memory is a procedure for those who know what to do. So I preferred to wait for the builds to become more stable.

Try and let me known.

Michele

• Hi all,

new build available with:

- linux 5.10.162

- mesa 22.3.2

- kodi 19.5

- updated libreelec to the latest upstream changes

This may be the latest build of Libreelec 10.0

Kodi Nexus is around the corner, and I will start working on Libreelec 11.

Cheers

Michele

• Hi all,

new build available with:

- linux 5.10.167

- mesa 23.0.0-rc4

- updated libreelec to the latest upstream changes

I started working on libreelec-11, but you have to be patient, private life is slowing me down.

Cheers

Michele

• Hi ilmich ,

Would you be interested in supporting the Grandstream GVC3212 perchance? Here is its vendor page, firmware, FCC documentation, and it appears to have an RK3228H chip onboard.

Hi dan25

all Rockchip devices work pretty much the same, so it wouldn't be impossible to do.

And it would be nice to do so, unfortunately without the device available it's difficult to test everything.

I found a tool

Grandstream-Firmware-HT802/FirmwarePatcher at master · BigNerd95/Grandstream-Firmware-HT802
    Grandstream HT802 Reversing - Custom Firmware - Decrypt - Unpack - Grandstream-Firmware-HT802/FirmwarePatcher at master · BigNerd95/Grandstream-Firmware-HT802
    github.com

that explodes the firmware you linked, but it needs a decryption key.

However the rk3228h should be the 64bit version of the rk3228.

Cheers

Michele

• Hi, I have an MXQ Pro 4k with RK3228A + ESP8089 and 1GB RAM + 8GB ROM. I'm assuming that this firmware is not fit for my box because I'm unable to boot this from sd card (in contrast to multitool, armbian, and the older LE 9.2 from knaerzche).

However I'm able to flash it to my device's emcp, but even then the experience has not been very pleasant, as the device randomly becomes unresponsive, or doesn't continue past the boot logo. I attached some logs below.

Not sure if you're able to do something about this. The older firmware boots in SD but can't be flashed and bricks the device. It is relatively stable but it lacks some features such as use of the remote.

• Hi Habitual6824,

try with my January build( archive folder ).

In the eternal search of optimal voltages settings, in my last build I've changed something.

Thanks for the reply, I got to try the January build, it seems just as unstable as the latest.

I then proceeded with the december build and it feels more stable. Crashed once so far but managed to try out a bunch of files before doing so. But this time it seems that hardware decode is not working. I get noticeably worse CPU % usage compared to LE 9.8.

Kodi log here: log, dmesg attached below

• thanks for logs.

try to switch dtb (according to 1stpost) in order to match your hardware.

default dtb is generic and without (for example) ddr3 frequency scaling

4k contents are unplayable with that dtb (and in general with boxes without ddr3)

make sure that also your network are reliable.

I don't see hardware errors in your logs

• Thanks for the quick reply, I wanted to try the dtb switch... but now the december build also isn't getting past the boot logo...

I tried dtb once on latest and switched to the mxq pro 4k non-oc, but it got even less stable. Is it possible due to cpu and gpu freq too high? knaerzche mentions in his LE 9.2/9.8 thread that 3228A runs at 1.2Ghz cpu and 400 Mhz gpu, so I assumed the mxq pro 4k dtb made it less stable.

Which brings me to the next thought, maybe I should try using the rk3228A dtb included in the LE9.2/9.8 builds into your build...

• Hi, I try to briefly explain the problems you are looking at.

Unfortunately, although I receive boxes from time to time, I don't have all the variants :(

Anyway if

- the box does not start or you see errors --> cpu voltages

- the box freezes after a while (you notice this because the led that usually flashes when you use the remote control, stays still) --> gpu voltages.

- kodi restarts --> generic bug that may depend on corrupted file, unstable network, etc etc. However bugs that do not directly depend on the build (almost 80% of the times).

To solve the overheating problems, over time I have experimented with different voltages from the official ones and I thought I had found working ones more or less everywhere.

Instead, some time ago I received a box that crashed on boot and therefore with the January release I fixed a little bit.

Unfortunately in February I did another experiment and now you have problems.

My suggestion is to stick with the January release and better specify what happens to you (if it falls into one of the cases that I have indicated to you).

I also ask you to send me the output of this command (from an ssh shell inside the box)

Code
    hexdump /sys/devices/platform/11040000.efuse/rockchip-efuse0/nvmem

this is the internal rk3229 efuse, and inside there is the information to check if your box tolerate some voltages or not.

Cheers

Michele

• Thanks for the reply again, no worries about the problems. It's understandable given how many variants these boxes have.

I also ask you to send me the output of this command (from an ssh shell inside the box)

Code
    hexdump /sys/devices/platform/11040000.efuse/rockchip-efuse0/nvmem

I've attached the result below. Is it really just that short? This is off of a re-install of latest bulid. Let me know if there's anything else needed.

• Hi,

I tested the new dtb on latest build. Still no boot on SD so I had to install via multitool. I then swapped it using your steps, but I also updated the FDT entry on extlinux.conf, that's how it's supposed to be right? Unfortunately it still hangs, result is not much different. I'll attach logs again just in case. If there's no error in logs, does it mean that it crashes before it could log what causes the error?

In a couple of attempts to reboot some sort of kernel errors appear after the boot logo, unfortunately I couldn't get screenshots.

I also want to note that when it hangs, the ssh session also hangs, I'm unable to type anything, and it'll only close once I pull the plug on it.

• Hi Habitual6824,

the problem of booting from the sd card is strange because in your dmesg I see that it is correctly loaded.

Code
    [    0.795338] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 50000000Hz (slot req 50000000Hz, actual 50000000HZ div = 0)
    [    0.795454] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 0007
    [    0.796741] mmcblk0: mmc0:0007 SL16G 14.5 GiB
    [    0.799982]  mmcblk0: p1

But if you have patience we will try to fix everything :)

But nothing starts!? Or is there an error you can send me!?

If there's no error in logs, does it mean that it crashes before it could log what causes the error?

yes

To avoid conflicts I ask you to delete the internal memory (via multitool) and try again with the sd card.

Also try with this dtb (like before), I reduced the clock frequency of cpu and gpu.

I also ask you to tell me which version of legacy libreelec works for you so that I can create an ad-hoc dts for your box.

Thank you