[UNOFFICIAL][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• hi edinsac your box is an allwinner, so my build is no good. try asking in the appropriate section of this forum

keesijp60 unfortunately not, I need a driver (possibly updated to the latest versions of the Linux kernel). After doing some research I found one, but I don't know if it's usable.

BakaKilluaTo. get an SD card and write my image on it as indicated in the first post. I've never seen the box but it seems compatible (consider that the specifications I see in the link could be fake, I have never seen rk322x boxes with more than 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage). I also ask you to send a link to the original version of the firmware so that I can study it better.

miclass The SOC supports hardware decoding for MPEG4, but I believe the software basis to implement it is missing in modern Linux kernels. I don't know the reason why no one has ever done it, but I imagine it's related to the obsolescence of the codec. The box restarts probably because it reaches high temperatures given that the decoding takes place via software. However, MPEG4 is quite easy to decode so I don't expect the CPU to be at 100% fixed. can you check this, please? maybe you can also tell me the resolution of the TV and that of the video you are playing?

• miclass another thing.. do you use the dts of the mxq 4k? or the generic one?

Hello, how are you, I wanted to suggest you about a project that is based on librelec, it is called lakka os and it is for retro emulation, I told you that I downloaded an image that is based on the tvbox v884k but unfortunately the rockchip is the rk3229, and mine It is an mxq4k with rockchip rk3228a, I get an error when I try that v884k image, so I wanted to know if you could explain to me how to change the kernel or something like that. the ported libreelec works perfectly for me.

• LewisTowm have you tried using the Libretro Kodi addon? However, I posted an unofficial build for rk322x on the lakka forum some time ago. Then I gave up because the box emulates 8 and 16 bit machines well. the rest is asking too much of these cpu :)

• miclass The SOC supports hardware decoding for MPEG4, but I believe the software basis to implement it is missing in modern Linux kernels. I don't know the reason why no one has ever done it, but I imagine it's related to the obsolescence of the codec. The box restarts probably because it reaches high temperatures given that the decoding takes place via software. However, MPEG4 is quite easy to decode so I don't expect the CPU to be at 100% fixed. can you check this, please? maybe you can also tell me the resolution of the TV and that of the video you are playing?

Ciao ilmich,

thank you for the feedback - I did some further tests/troubleshooting trying many videos, these are my findings (board MXQ 4K):

Video:

• H264, x265 -> both work pretty well, I even tested an x265 2160p HDR and it worked, next time I will try to plug the box to a 4K TV and see what happens...
    • XVID -> KODI simply crashes and it start agains (system remains up). If I disable the option "Allow use DRM PRIME Decoder", xvid someway works, but not great... (note: actually XVID was the problem, not MPEG4)

Audio:

• AAC, E-AC3 -> both work fine
    • AC3 -> doesn't work, no audio

I am attaching the full logs, more specifically, this are the last lines of the Kodi crash with xvid:

Do you have any advice? :)

Thank you!

Ciao,

-miclass

• Ciao miclass

AC3 -> doesn't work, no audio

please check the device used for passthrough in the audio settings. AC3 tracks can be sent raw to the connected audio device. Probably by default the spdif connector is selected instead of the hdmi.

XVID -> KODI simply crashes and it start agains (system remains up). If I disable the option "Allow use DRM PRIME Decoder", xvid someway works, but not great... (note: actually XVID was the problem, not MPEG4)

I'll do some testing and let you know. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: just for clarity, xvid is an optimized mpeg4 codec, for this reason I talked about mpeg4 in general

• Ciao miclass

please check the device used for passthrough in the audio settings. AC3 tracks can be sent raw to the connected audio device. Probably by default the spdif connector is selected instead of the hdmi.

I'll do some testing and let you know. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: just for clarity, xvid is an optimized mpeg4 codec, for this reason I talked about mpeg4 in general

Ciao ilmich

correct - the problem with AC3 was exactly what you mentioned, output was on spdif by default. Now it works. :)

Still no luck with xvid/divx, let me know if you manage to reproduce the issue / troubleshoot it, thanks!

Ciao

-miclass

• Ciao miclass, I should have solved it. Please try this test image.

https://ilmich.libreelec.tv/libreelec-11/test/

I have to thank you because you helped me solve a problem that has always been there in my builds.

Ciao ilmich

tested with xvid and it works, great! :)

Happy to know it helped to solve a problem - I am curious to know what was the issue, something missing?

I also tested the device connected to a 4K TV with a couple of videos 2160p HDR 10bit and everything seems fine. Files were about 20GB each, but with a good wifi signal it works without delays/buffering. I tried for about 10min, I will test in the next days more extensively. The processor become quite hot, I would like to had a little fan but I am wondering which is the best place on the board where to connect it. Anyway it's amazing what these boxes can still do today! ^^

Ciao

-miclass

• Happy to know it helped to solve a problem - I am curious to know what was the issue, something missing?

I've seen how DRMPrime works and for non hardware decoded videos it uses linux's dma heaps (which I didn't have enabled).

The processor become quite hot, I would like to had a little fan but I am wondering which is the best place on the board where to connect it.

I recommend you try a larger heatsink first

Anyway it's amazing what these boxes can still do today

The hardware has good multimedia performance. Add to that two years of testing and fine-tuning 8)

• I recommend you try a larger heatsink first

I will try - but you mean removing the current one and switching to a larger one - or - add another one on top of the existing one?

I am not so confident in removing the current one, I fear I might damage the chip in the operation...seem glued very tightly.

Thanks! (also for all the test and fine-tuning obviously! ;))

• Hi miclass, try with this dtb (if you are booting from SD try replacing the file you find in the FAT partition).
    I increased the clock of ddr3 memory. Since the faster the RAM, the less load is on the CPU, it could be cooler.

Regarding the heat sink, it's not difficult to remove it with pliers. You have to make slow but firm rotations and it comes off. But I understand your fear, I had it the first time too.

Ps: remove .txt extension

• Hi miclass, try with this dtb (if you are booting from SD try replacing the file you find in the FAT partition).
    I increased the clock of ddr3 memory. Since the faster the RAM, the less load is on the CPU, it could be cooler.

Regarding the heat sink, it's not difficult to remove it with pliers. You have to make slow but firm rotations and it comes off. But I understand your fear, I had it the first time too.

Ps: remove .txt extension

Hello friend, a question, your port of libreelec now the AV output does not work, composite video, but your version 9 does work, so I analyzed it is the kernel but when it comes to making the transfer when loading the system it appears that it is not there a route and I'm confused and if you can make it look, it has color because it doesn't have one, I can offer you my help

• miclass have you tried modifying the dtb? Have you noticed any problems? I'm about to release the last version of 11 (then I'll start with 12)

LewisTowm may I please know what you need it for? the analogic video output driver does not exist in mainline kernels, I could try to implement it but for now, I don't see the use for it

@reznik1988 A thousand thanks.