[UNOFFICIAL][Le11-10][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• Hi there,
    A little information about TV boxes in general.
    Some BOX RK322x are really lowcost, so lowcost that the manufacturer to save a few cents do not populated certain component.

Here's an example of a box we recently received:
    The motherboard is a R29_5G_LP3_V1.2_00523 and when we analyze the PCB we can see that the manufacturer hasn't installed the decoupling capacitors back of RK3228a CPU :( => This will make the box unstable.

Decoupling capacitors play a multiple role. Among other things, they act as local energy reservoirs, providing the chips with instantaneous high-frequency energy. As a result, they absorb high frequencies and limit noise propagation via power supplies between chips. The closer the ceramic capacitors are placed to the chips, the more efficient they will be, given the parasitic inductance of the tracks and vias.

The manufacturer had foreseen the installation of these decoupling capacitors... but didn't install them!
    If your box is unstable, check that they are present: If they are not present I advise you (if it is still possible) to return this! ....

PoC.ng

• pocng

its just a v71 board, nothing fancy, you can probably see a similar picture of it over armbian rk322x forum thread there.

also debug logs doesnt seems to have any meaningful logs here

ilmich

yes I already tried different cables, and no, unfortunately its the same issue, as I said before, the TV Box works fine with a Android ROM on it with the same HDMI Cable and able to set the resolution between 720p and 1080p, cant find a way to set it to 1024x768 unless I go boot the thing with this libreelec build.

Also im using the cable on this test that I used for my PS5, im pretty sure that this cable can do 4k60 so, I think this cable is more than qualified as good cable.

• I've noticed that playback at 24hz causes frames to show out of order and tear, whereas at other refresh rates it's flawless. (The Sync Playback to Display option doesn't make any difference here)

I have noticed that this glitchiness only occurs in DIRECT TO PLANE mode and is not present in EGL mode, which runs perfectly. Unfortunately, 10 bit videos do not play in EGL mode because of an error: "error <general>: CEGLImage::SupportsFormat - format not supported: NV15"

• I have noticed that this glitchiness only occurs in DIRECT TO PLANE mode and is not present in EGL mode, which runs perfectly. Unfortunately, 10 bit videos do not play in EGL mode because of an error: "error <general>: CEGLImage::SupportsFormat - format not supported: NV15"

In fact, it only seems to be present with subtitles displayed. Old VobSub DVD subtitles are fine but any text based subtitles rendered by kodi seem to cause the glitchiness. I wonder if the rendering the font and the video is just too much for the box. Is there any way to reduce the rendering resolution of subtitles perhaps?

• hi, thank you so much for your awesome work!
    I wanted to report the nightly boots : X96 mini wiht RK3228A - 2 / 16 GB.
    The ethernet works, wifi does not and it does not have bluetooth I think.

I hope to be able to get time in the coming weeks to help development.
    I see you are running low on time ilmich , let me know how I can help out with that.
    Time I have soon, I know Linux, kernels and have been compiling kernels and hacking all kinds of boxes ( although no expert ).
    I can dumb a dtb from Android if useful ? It's running Android 11.1 I think.

Thanks again, would be cool to get LibreElec 12 working. If you have stuff to read up upon to get that going, just post some links :). Cheers!

• Hi openminded

I see you are running low on time ilmich , let me know how I can help out with that.

yes, real life and lack of devices (I lost a couple of boxes due to some experiments) is preventing me from working on this project. But it's not dead, I started working on libreelec 12 (https://github.com/rockchip-with-…e12-rk322x-wip/).

Time I have soon, I know Linux, kernels and have been compiling kernels and hacking all kinds of boxes ( although no expert ).

it would be great, first of all I recommend trying to build libreelec yourself and study the patches you find for rk322x. the code is quite stable but as you can see some boxes work better than others (especially because there are so many variations and not having them it is impossible for me to make everything work)

I can dumb a dtb from Android if useful ? It's running Android 11.1 I think.

it would be useful because the wifi must be activated via gpio pin and they are often indicated in the dtb. if your board is equipped with wifi compatible with the mainline kernel there is hope of making it work. otherwise, I recommend the network cable or an external USB wifi.

• Hi ilmich

I have this TV Box with 3229 and 6051, I tried with version 11 and 10 and in both I have the same problem.

When I try to play a video either from my PC (UMS server) or YouTube as an example, there are 2 options: it takes about 5 minutes to start playing (with the wheel turning) or LIBREELEC restarts.

I tried several dtb and I also thought it could be WIFI but the same thing happens through a cable network (disable WIFI option).
    The program works agile and fast, but it also becomes slow when having to install some addons, but it installs them.

Can you think a way to help me?

Thanks!

• Hi Ilmich. I'm writing you from the interior of Argentina. Great work. Very inspiring.
    I have an MXQ pro RK3229, I installed your adapted version of Lakka and it works...
    The WIFI (RTL8723BS) and the Sound (RkRk322x) don't work for me!
    I have a lot of old NES and MAME roms. I put them on a pendrive and I can play them, but without sound. The covers can be downloaded via network cable.
    I'm in unfamiliar territory, I'd like to be able to, but I have a hard time with the language, I don't even know how to use linux or github. I'm a noob
    Thank you very much again.

• hi spigui I see from your logs

Code
    Aug 21 15:59:44 LibreELEC kernel: VideoPlayer invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x400dc2(GFP_KERNEL_ACCOUNT|__GFP_HIGHMEM|__GFP_ZERO), order=0, oom_score_adj=0

basically kodi has run out of available memory. I don't think it's a problem with my build but maybe some KODI bug with the stream you're trying to play. try playing it locally rather than another streaming method (http for example instead of UPnP)

It seems there are some problems with your SD card, try replacing it

• Hi ilmich

I changed the SD card as you said and Kodi works smooths. I was able to play a movie from pendrive with 5.1 sound! and YouTube too but 2.0.

But I still can't play through UPNP/DNLA although can browse the directories and Kodi showing a little snapshot of the file.

I attached the logs.

Thanks!

Files

Edited once, last by spigui: I thought the problem might be UMS, so I installed Jelly server on PC, but that didn't work either. Then I installed Plex Server and Composite on Kodi and it worked! Cheers! Why could that be? (September 12, 2024 at 10:56 PM).

• ilmich Hi! I found out that you released some time ago Lakka for this box using similar tools like you did for LibreELEC. Could you release an updated version for RK322x? Lakka v4 or v5? As you did here? http://ilmich6502.it/lakka-4.x/

Latest release LibreELEC-RK322X.arm-11.0-nightly-20240218-d7324fb-rk322x.img worked really fine on my box, maybe if its tranplanted with Lakka it will probably run great too!

Also, any news regarding an updated LibreELEC for this boxes?

EDIT: Just tested Lakka and it even runs PS1 games just fine! Its incredible, just had to use 720p res and correct dtb. Well, I hope you release a new Lakka! Wifi and BT do not work, but Im sure if you release an updated lakka with LibreELEC11 stuff, it will work as everything work with LibreELEC 11!

Edited once, last by ochentay4 (August 31, 2024 at 3:54 AM).

• ilmich Hi! I found out that you released some time ago Lakka for this box using similar tools like you did for LibreELEC. Could you release an updated version for RK322x? Lakka v4 or v5? As you did here? http://ilmich6502.it/lakka-4.x/

Latest release LibreELEC-RK322X.arm-11.0-nightly-20240218-d7324fb-rk322x.img worked really fine on my box, maybe if its tranplanted with Lakka it will probably run great too!

Hi ochentay4 this is not the right place to talk about lakka but know that I intend to continue that project too
    even if I prefer libreelec for retrograming as it's more simple than lakka (more click and play than the thousand settings of lakka) and the performances are identical (some addons on libreelec 11 are broken but most of them works)

I'm trying a test build that I will publish in a new post, you need to have a little patience but as I have written in the past, the project is not dead :)

• Hi ochentay4 this is not the right place to talk about lakka but know that I intend to continue that project too
    even if I prefer libreelec for retrograming as it's more simple than lakka (more click and play than the thousand settings of lakka) and the performances are identical (some addons on libreelec 11 are broken but most of them works)

I'm trying a test build that I will publish in a new post, you need to have a little patience but as I have written in the past, the project is not dead :)

agreed that this is not the place, sorry.

im patatient, no worries.

thanks for your work!