But Since I Am Here.. Need To Set Up 8TB Drive

• I need some assistance with some very basic LINUX setup..

As the previous post indicated, I haven't got a lot of LINUX knowledge.. I haven't used LINUX since my FEDORA days..

What I want to do is set up an 8TB HD thru my KODI box.. Making sure it's "clean" and all that, I then want to copy the Data from a 4TB and a 6TB to the 8TB... The 4 and 6 aren't full so everything should fit..

Then I want to format and clean the 4 and 6 thru the KODI box and then copy all the data from the 8TB back to their respective drives..

I just need some hints and tips on how to get started.. I have read thru this...

9 Linux Parted Command Examples – mkpart, mkpartfs, resize partitions

... but it's hard to correlate what I read to what I need..

Any help would be most appreciated..

• could you tell what your "kodi box" is ?

e.g. is it a ~PC~ where you could connect at least 2 HD ?

Yes, sorry about that.. It's a Dell PC Desktop.. I originally have 3 HDs hooked to it.. An SSD that is the boot drive, the 4TB and the 6TB...

Now, I just have the SSD boot and the 8TB...

I found a link here....

RockinEmu
    March 24, 2017 at 8:37 PM

.... that I am trying to follow...

OK... I got a hiccup here..

parted -s /dev/sdb mkpart primary ext4 40s 100%

I am guessing because I am using a different size HD than the one in the other thread, I need to modify that line...

blkid

http://ix.io/3INF

mount

http://ix.io/3ING

dmesg

http://ix.io/3INH

It's kinda coming back to me now.. :D

Edited once, last by Michale: Merged a post created by Michale into this post. (December 18, 2021 at 11:39 PM).

• wait, wait ,my fault

you need to install the addon "System Tools" first !

Edited 3 times, last by GDPR-7: Merged a post created by JoeAverage into this post. (December 19, 2021 at 12:21 AM).

• the test didn't finished:

rebooted or suspended ?

at the end:
    # 1 Short offline Interrupted (host reset)

AFAIK, some disks survive a reboot and the test continues, but ...

anyway, to me the disk seems good.

check the others too

hint:

you could run the tests at any time, even when the disk is filled with data.

this test was only to make sure to not copy/move data to a bad disk

nothings to thanks for.

just help another user the next time...

=> b-o-o-s-t community

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (December 19, 2021 at 3:13 AM).

• No need to juggle with command line gobbledeegook (unless you really want to), use a bootable USB stick running GParted. You can format and check the 8TB drive properly with EXT4. A Ubuntu Live session on USB will also do with the "Disks" application. And you can use the File Manager for copying all necessary video files.

• yup, in an initial draft comment I had SysRescueCD (~800 MB) with GParted, Graphical File manager to format, FS-check, copy, ... in my mind...

I scratched that, cause live cd use some RAM and how could it influence long time copy/move of big data...

My intention was to provide a working solution without unthought surprises

I'm not sure if a graphical IF for smartmontools is available; couldn't find something on the GParted page

fsck != smartctl

coping data on bad disk causes bad data !

and a MC is available too,

all on board just some minor "command line gobbledeegook"

redhat (RHCE) taught me "do the simplest thing first" and KISS (keep it small and simple)

• OK So, I know the drive is good..

How do I alter the command:

Code
    parted -s /dev/sdb mkpart primary ext4 40s 100%

... to take into account the full 8TB of the drive??

Here is what I am seeing when I run the afore line..

Code
    HOLODECK:~ # parted -s /dev/sdb mkpart primary ext4 40s 100%

Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance: 40s % 2048s != 0s

HOLODECK:~ #

Edited once, last by Michale: Merged a post created by Michale into this post. (December 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM).

• sorry, now explanation in English. I was in a german language forum before answering here.

for best performance on a HDD, the partitions should be aligned to some size, e.g. internal buffer of the HDD (most HDD have internal SDRAM cache of about 64-256MB for performance, aka read and/or write cache). Unaligned partitions are working, but should be avoided. So adjust the command to the initial offset of the partition to 2048s (equal to 1MB).

• sorry, now explanation in English. I was in a german language forum before answering here.

for best performance on a HDD, the partitions should be aligned to some size, e.g. internal buffer of the HDD (most HDD have internal SDRAM cache of about 64-256MB for performance, aka read and/or write cache). Unaligned partitions are working, but should be avoided. So adjust the command to the initial offset of the partition to 2048s (equal to 1MB).

Thanx for the reply...

Here is my parted PRINT data..

How exactly would I adjust the offset for my particular setup.. I am guessing the 512B/4096B has something to do with it, but it's just a guess...

I am embarrassed by my ignorance.. As I mentioned, it's been a LONG time since I played with Linux... Windows became my addiction I couldn't shake. heh...

• Apologies.. I re-read your comment and you spelled it out for me.. DUH...

Thanx so much for the help...

OK.. Making progress...

Ran all the parted commands with nary a hiccup...

Then the fsck.ext4 gave me this..

I am thinking that this means what Joe Average was talking about above?? That the HD has some bad areas??

Edited once, last by Michale: Merged a post created by Michale into this post. (December 19, 2021 at 1:13 PM).