Display timeout RPi 4b LibreELEC 9.2.8 Kodi Leia 18.9.0

• Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, or if it's been asked and answered already (did a search and couldn't find any mention of it, but still...)

Had this issue for a while now - had the same issue with my previous TV so I don't think it's a TV problem: After 24-48 hours, if I've been watching regular TV or anything from a different source than the HDMI port that the Raspberry Pi is connected to, if I then go back to that HDMI input, there's no display. The RPi is still on, the HDD attached to it is still spinning and I can access it as a NAS; but the only way I can get it to output display is by switching it off and back on - then, it goes through the standard rainbow screen, start-up "Just enough OS for Kodi" and we're up and running again. Is there a display output time-out that I'm missing, that can be increased/disabled? It's just really frustrating to have to go scrabbling around behind the TV stand to switch it off & on again, not to mention the fact that it's not good for the SD card or the HDD to be switched off like this, but I can't find another way to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give ?( :)

• Go to LE's input device setting, and select "CEC Adapter". There is a setting, which makes the RPi always send HDMI signal, no matter what you are actually watching. Activate this setting as a workaround for missing HDMI wake-up call.

• Thanks, Da Flex I'll give that a try and let you know if it works.

EDIT: Looked in that menu; found a lot of options which I've tried to configure as best I can to achieve a workaround, but couldn't see anything for a forced HDMI signal, so I guess time will tell if I've changed something that will do the job ... as I said in OP, it's usually if I go back after 24-48 hours of not watching anything on KODI.

• I experienced the exact same issue and regardless of what settings I tried within the CEC adapter options I was unsuccessful in keeping the hdmi output alive after the same 24-48hr period. My final solution was to simply create a cron job to reboot my RPi nightly at 2AM.

• EDIT: Looked in that menu; found a lot of options which I've tried to configure as best I can to achieve a workaround, but couldn't see anything for a forced HDMI signal, so I guess time will tell if I've changed something that will do the job ... as I said in OP, it's usually if I go back after 24-48 hours of not watching anything on KODI.

Start with the hammer. Disable CEC.

If you normally use CEC for control then switch to something else (keyboard/phone remote).

If the problem has gone we can dig more deeply. If it's still there we can cross CEC off the list.

• The RPi is still on, the HDD attached to it is still spinning and I can access it as a NAS; but the only way I can get it to output display is by switching it off and back on ... It's just really frustrating to have to go scrabbling around behind the TV stand to switch it off & on again, not to mention the fact that it's not good for the SD card or the HDD to be switched off like this, but I can't find another way to resolve the issue.

If you have enabled SSH, you can SSH into it and give a 'reboot' command.
    If you have 'Kore' on your phone, you should be able to reboot it through that as well.
    Not a proper solution to your problem, but better then pulling the plug.

• Thanks all for your suggestions ... some of which make more sense to me than others ;)
    Not saying they're not all effective solutions, I'm just not all that savvy about this stuff. I haven't got Kore and I didn't enable SSH, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I needed to go down that route. I don't use CEC to control, because I've found it a bit hit-and-miss whether it decides to play or not, so I have a bluetooth remote with a USB dongle which works fine; so disabling CEC wouldn't be a hardship if it comes to that ... but I'm going away for the weekend, so I'll leave it up and running as it is and see if it's still outputting HDMI when I get back on Monday.
    Thanks again :thumbup: :thumbup: