Virtualbox 6.1 with LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.1.ova

• Hello, can i use LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.1.ova with Virtaulbox 6.1?

Host System: Ubuntu 20.04

I have trouble this the CPU, i have testing the Virtubuabox GPU: VBoxVGA, VMSVGA and VBoxSGVA.

LibreELEC 10.0.1 don't start.

Where is my mistake?

Greets

liberi

• just checked

Host: fedora 35 on an Intel i5-11400

GPU:

- Video Mem. :128 MB

- Graphic controller: VMSVGA

- Acceleration: enable 3D A.

with I got the LE-VM up, but the installer doesn't not see a disk to install on.

running it with "run" I got for storage (Size/Used)

- /flash 511,7M / ~264M

- /storage 26.5M / 7,7M !

VGA seems to be a LLVM

AFAIK it's a GPU in software

anyway, I've read to get an usb stick bootable in Virtualbox.

with that there is maybe a chance to get an LE release or nightly installed ...

I need more time to play with it somewhat more, don't know when ...

liberi are the VM bits on in your Bios ?

• I am trying to install Libreelec on virtualbox 7.0.10

I can run the ova, which gives me the option to install/run from USB.
    So I let it do the default action, which I think was run from USB, and it worked, but there was not enough HDD to actually try much.
    So I selected the installer option on boot up, and it said "no devices found"

I am assuming that the OVA IDE drive is meant to be the USB one would use to install, and you need to add your own disk. So I added a 8GB VDI, and then it found that, and installed it there. However on reboot it went back to the install/run from usb options....

So I removed the USB by deleting that storage in Virtualbox settings and then it just boots with an error, and then sits there with "LibreELEC (official): 11.0.3" on the screen.

Any ideas, as there don't seem to be any guides on this...

• So I let it do the default action, which I think was run from USB, and it worked, but there was not enough HDD to actually try much.

"Run" mode is the intended one.

Expanding disk is broken for GPT in LE11, see Vmware discussion here. Maybe the work around to increase the disk size of a fresh OVA is working too in Vbox.

Untested manual fix possibility from LE: Boot a fresh OVA into "installer". Press Alt-F3 to get the debug shell. Execute parted /dev/sda and allow to repair the disk. Reboot and choose "run" mode.

Discussion about using installer with OVA - and again Vmware - is here.

• "Run" mode is the intended one.

Expanding disk is broken for GPT in LE11, see Vmware discussion here. Maybe the work around to increase the disk size of a fresh OVA is working too in Vbox.

Untested manual fix possibility from LE: Boot a fresh OVA into "installer". Press Alt-F3 to get the debug shell. Execute parted /dev/sda and allow to repair the disk. Reboot and choose "run" mode.

Discussion about using installer with OVA - and again Vmware - is here.

Thanks! So what I tried as a result, was to add a new disk as above, but not delete the old USB one. Then when the vbox boots up, I use f12 to select the boot drive, and select the new one I created. I guess I can't delete the other as it's primary, however at least that's working enough for me to do the testing I need to do. Thanks again!