RPi Deinterlacer testbuild

• hpmueller1971 I haven't seen this on LE 10.0.2.

Please test with LE10.0.2 and after the issue occurred ssh in and check if the RPi had throttled - insufficient power supply could cause such issues.

Run "vcgencmd get_throttled", it should show 0x0.

If it's 0x0 you could try applying a small over voltage, add over_voltage=2 to config.txt and see if that helps.

so long,

Hias

• Hi everyone,

i apologise for the long message, im basically testing and rebooting like a crazy person while writing this ;)

@popcornmix No, absolutely nothing beside

[ 83.524947] rpivid feb10000.codec: rpivid_h265_start: (3840x1920)
    [ 83.568896] rpivid feb10000.codec: SPS changed
    [ 83.568913] rpivid feb10000.codec: PPS changed

I haven't seen this on LE 10.0.2.

Please test with LE10.0.2 and after the issue occurred ssh in and check if the RPi had throttled - insufficient power supply could cause such issues.

I'm using 10.0.2 (i've built git-images for months, but the moment the release-image of 10.0.2 appeared, i've upgraded to that). But the throtteling-comment reminded me that i have overclocked the Pi4 (to 2000/700 with overvoltage=6), so just to be thorough, ive removed the overclocking, and guess what, the noise flashes are gone :-S. After a lot of trying, it seems to be the CPU/Core overclocking, with overclocking 2000 and no GPU/Core overclock, it works fine.

10.0.1 with GPU overclocking -> good

10.0.2 with GPU overclocking -> random noise every few minutes

10.0.2 without GPU overclocking -> good

the pi never throtteles, no underpower or overheat (barly goes above 55C on h265-UHD). But the wheirdness does not stop there, i have some UHD-H265 Files with a high bitrate, that give me a "No Signal" on my Samsung TV, when played with 10.0.2+overclock, but work fine on 10.0.1+overclock, and fine on 10.0.2 without GPU overclock! This is reproducable on a second RPi4, so it's not an issue of the specific board. The only non-obvious difference in vcgen ist the pixel frequency:

core: frequency(1)=500000992
    v3d: frequency(46)=500000992
    pixel: frequency(29)=149989744

core: frequency(1)=700009280
    v3d: frequency(46)=700009280
    pixel: frequency(29)=299979488

What does the pixel frequency mean, is this somehow related to the HDMI? Both issues "feel" like a problem on HDMI, the random flashes do not look like mpeg-decoding-blocks and are way to short. IIRC, there was some firmware change, not at the same time, but within a few weeks, when the deinterlacing was introduced into git, i think for 4k@60fps (with i tested with hdmi_enable_4kp60=0 and 1 and does not seem to have an influcence). Can i simply copy over the firmware files from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2, or is the newer firmware requered by Kodi on 10.0.2?

Can i somehow see hdmi or other errors in the gpu/firmware with vcgen, or what mode the rasperry hdmi is, when i get No Signal...?

Regards, /hp

• Can i simply copy over the firmware files from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2, or is the newer firmware requered by Kodi on 10.0.2?

In general yes. Obviously if the firmware goes back before a feature was introduced that feature won't work.

So give it a try. (Back up first if you are not sure you can undo any changes made).

• In general yes. Obviously if the firmware goes back before a feature was introduced that feature won't work.

So give it a try. (Back up first if you are not sure you can undo any changes made).

Thanks, using the 10.0.1 firmware on 10.0.2 works fine, but neighter of the issues are affected. So not a firmware issue...

• Keep in mind that LE 10.0.2 will now output 10bit video files as 10 or 12 bit instead of only 8bit before - which obviously requires higher HDMI output clocks.

If you are overclocking you'll be generally on your own and be prepared that any odd issues are most likely caused by too aggressive overclock - in which case you have to find working overclock settings again.

so long,

Hias

• Keep in mind that LE 10.0.2 will now output 10bit video files as 10 or 12 bit instead of only 8bit before - which obviously requires higher HDMI output clocks.

If you are overclocking you'll be generally on your own and be prepared that any odd issues are most likely caused by too aggressive overclock - in which case you have to find working overclock settings again.

so long,

Hias

Ah well, there's at least an explenation, the Files that don't play on 10.0.2 are in fact 10bit, thanks!

I just remember that the first git-version that had the deinterlacer in LE10, was the version where those random flashes appeared, was the 10bit stuff in the same commit...?

I'm aware that overclocking is unsupported, i simply didnt think of it when i wrote my original comment, apologies...

The hdmi pixel clock is actually the same.

12-bit YCC422 is 24-bits per pixel. Which is the same as 8-bit RGB444.

But the core clock does drive many parts of the SoC.

And it may be that a part of the chip that was dormant when we were outputting 8-bit RGB444 is now required with 12-bit YCC422 and has an overclock limit below 700MHz.

• The hdmi pixel clock is actually the same.

12-bit YCC422 is 24-bits per pixel. Which is the same as 8-bit RGB444.

For 4kp50/60 yes, but 4kp30 and below will use 12bit RGB 4:4:4 if supported by the TV.

So lots of 10-bit videos (eg 4kp24 or 1080p) now can have 50% higher clocks than before.

so long,

Hias

• For 4kp50/60 yes, but 4kp30 and below will use 12bit RGB 4:4:4 if supported by the TV.

So lots of 10-bit videos (eg 4kp24 or 1080p) now can have 50% higher clocks than before.

so long,

Hias

And that higher clock rate can sometimes expose things that you really don't expect to cause problems - like HDMI Cables that can't cope with the increased bandwidth.

When I installed players that output 4:2:2 2160p50/p59.94 12-bit YCbCr output a couple of my HDMI cables just wouldn't support it, and my TV would fail to display anything (and report no signal or invalid signal). Swapping them out for higher (electrical) quality cables solved the problem. Normally you wouldn't suspect HDMI cables - they usually 'just work' - but the move to higher bandwidth signals does expose limitations in the electrical quality of the cables.

NB by higher electrical quality cables I don't mean expensive 'Monster' or similar cables, just cables that are certified 'HDMI Premium' with the hologram. They aren't expensive, but are certified to pass the higher bandwidth HDMI 2.0 signals that are required for UHD HDR at all bit depths, frame rates and colour formats...