Safe shutdown script missing

• Hello to all... After a clean install of LibreELEC (Matrix) 10.0.0 i got a script in the shutdown process on the screen so i know when i can cut the power. But now it not show up anymore. Do anyone have a solution or any ideas how to see when its safe to cut the power? Best regards Thore from Sweden

• It depends on which HW you are using... Usually when you shutdown LE, it turns off the device which is running on. And there are usually some status LEDs so you should see the current status.

If the request is more sophisticated, perhaps the shutdown script could be upgraded to do another (than currently {in}visible) indication...

• Sorry, forgot to mention that i have a Raspberry pi 4 built in a closet there i manage it over the local network... So that is difficult to see the RPi if the lights turn off... So i have been helped with the script that shows after i have turned off LE through the menu that starts rolling down on screen, and then show "turned off"...

• OK, perhaps I don't understand the specific use case properly as from my perspective there's no need to see a rolling text on display...

I am using RPi 4B as well and in my case the display stops receiving HDMI signal when I turn off LE. So I believe it's a sufficient indication (among others possible - for instance I am using GPIOs + LEDs + buttons to see the current state or to shut down the device).

• Ahaa .. ok, its har for me to explain in technical english though i am from Sweden... The problem is that the screen shuts down several seconds before the Pi do it... So the tip with a led is great, i have a hifi berry hat on the pi so it could be hard to add a led from it. Or you probably have an idea? :)

• OK, I see... Your English is maybe even better then mine, it's not my first language as well... :)

Well, there are 2 basic options how 'deep' the RPi 4B's shutdown can be. It depends on bootloader configuration.

You can check your current config with: vcgencmd bootloader_config command.

When you change the default option POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0 to POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1, you could connect a LED in serie with resistor (about 500 - 1000 Ohm) to unused USB port. So it turns off when the RPi is completely down.

FYI some details can be found here: Raspberry Pi 4 B GPIO boot and shutdown button(s) - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Edited once, last by ghtester (September 13, 2021 at 8:15 PM).

• Hello again and the tip works great.. The only difference was that it works with a LED connected to the USB without change the code. I looked at the code, and it was like you describe before editing. So i let it be as it is... Anyway, now i can wait till the LED goes out and turn the power off. Thanks :)